A wicked shimmy, I need suggestions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A wicked shimmy, I need suggestions

Reaction score
City, State
Eden Prairie MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
My explorer is getting a case of the shakes and Im not sure what I should do to fix it.

The shake it from left to right and real fast, it only happens at highway speeds, and when I hit a bump. If im on a real smooth highway I have no problems, but as soon as a bump comes and she shakes a bit, then that shake turns into a more serious shake and it lasts for about 5 seconds or so and shakes the whole truck.

I just replaced the rotors and pads, so I know I dont have warped rotors, also when I hit the brake hard there is no pedal vibration. I also just replaced all four shocks.

Anyone have any ideas on what the problem is?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I agree - check your radius arm bushings. Are you hearing a loud clunk from either side of the truck when you drive over large bumps at low speed?

If it is your bushings, and they are worn enough to allow oscillation like you describe at speed, the truck is not safe to drive.

No not any large clunks. Should I just look for physical wear when looking at the bushings?

Also, is that bushing typical to fail on these vehicles? That seems like a bushing that should be good for a long time.

That bushing is 14 yrs old and there exposed to all elements and range of motions every day.

They fail

Just run over the whole front end. Look at ball joints, steering compents, radius arms, and everything else you can see.

I will take a look at the bushings and look over the front end again. A few weeks ago I greased all the bushings and pushed and pulled on the idler arm and linkage and everything seemed to be tight. Is there any specific test I can perform on the bushings? Also how hard is it to replace the bushings?

the bushings more often than not split, and it is very noticeable. search for radius arm bushings on the site and you will find several threads that can help with a replacement. btw.. its not a simple job.

The passenger side bushing tends to go first, because it sits right next to the catalytic converter and is affected by the heat from it.

When I replaced them on my 94 Limited it took me about a day - but it was extremely hard work, and took a lot of effort. It is not a simple task, and you should plan ahead to have the correct tools & parts on hand.

There are many threads here describing how to do it, including a couple with step by step pictures.

get an air chisel, or do like i did and get a friend who has an air chisel. saved me all kinds of time cutting the rivots out of the RA cross member and the axle pivot brackets.

Back