• Register Today It's free!

A4LD 2nd gear servo cover

Fossiljager

Reaction score
City, State
New London, New Hampshire
Year, Model & Trim Level
90 Bronco II 4.0L/A4LD/
I had my A4LD built for off road by a local shop. Once installed in my B2 behind a 94 4.L I noticed a small leak coming from the 2nd gear servo cover. I brought it back to the shop, the owner said I was lucky I didn't blow the servo clean out of the trans and strand myself... He reinserted the servo, servo cover and snap ring. I started the truck up this morning and heard a pop then the distinct smell of trans fluid burning..... It happened again, the snap ring pop out and so went the servo cover. I personally repaired it one more time and the same thing happened, stranding me this time.

Is it a weak snap ring or a warn groove or both. Can that grove be refurbished enough to hold a new snap ring in place?

I did notice the snap ring was quite smooth on the outer edge, the edge that would seat in the groove.. could that be the issue?

Thanks for your in put.

Harl

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did not kink the snap ring but I'm sure it's the original one. The "O" ring is suppose to be new at the time of the rebuild. I'll drop by the shop tomorrow to pick up a new snap ring and "O" ring, I'll reinstalling it myself.....

But before everything goes back together I want to make sure the groove will hold the new snap ring, otherwise all is for not.

thanks for your in put,

Harl

I would suggest doing a band adjustment after you replace the O ring & snap ring. Make sure that the bore is clean. They make a tool called the Accumulator Buddy which is basically a wire brush for smoothing out any scratches in the bore.

Do you know of a tool that will re-groove where the snap ring seats. Or do I need to get in there with a 90 degree pick and clean the groove out by hand. I'm afraid the groove has been rounded off somewhat and now the snap ring can't seat properly due to one thing or another.

Harl

Back