• Register Today It's free!

A4LD 85K miles or 185k miles?

ShadowdogKGB

Reaction score
City, State
Tioga County, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Navajo
I was looking in the salvage yards around here for an A4LD transmission for my '91 Mazda Navajo. I found a rather clean '94 Explorer with an odometer reading of 85,000 miles. Is there any sure way to tell if it's been rolled over (185,000 miles)? The brake pedal has very little foot wear on it. There's no rust anywhere underneath or on the body. No caked on oil or anything like that.

They want $400 for it. If it truly has 85k miles this would be awesome.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How many digits is the OD? Get the vin & run a carfax. Carfax sucks for just about everything, but their mileage verification is correct most of the time.

Right on. Thanks. I never even thought of that.

Still crap though 74K miles & mine died.

I think for the vast majority of people, they were fine. Mine got to 277,000+ miles with very few issues, still going today.

To the original question, check the condition of the seats, brake pedal, etc. If those look worn, it may be flipped. The other easy thing to check is the engine compartment. An engine at 85,000 will look much cleaner and "newer" that one at 185,000 (barring driving through excessive dust, etc.).

Mike

Have 152,000 mi. on my........

A4LD and not one problem. Probably just signed a death warrant for it though by posting this.

Rofl. Mine has 165,000 and all forward motion has ceased. It goes in reverse though. I couldn't find any used tranny worth a **** so I'm going to just have mine rebuilt.

I think for the vast majority of people, they were fine. Mine got to 277,000+ miles with very few issues, still going today.

To the original question, check the condition of the seats, brake pedal, etc. If those look worn, it may be flipped. The other easy thing to check is the engine compartment. An engine at 85,000 will look much cleaner and "newer" that one at 185,000 (barring driving through excessive dust, etc.).

Mike
Yeah I went back and looked a little closer. The floor mat was worn completely through from somebody's foot. Window controls had a lot of paint worn off.

Back