A4LD and the governor? Where is it? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A4LD and the governor? Where is it?

Raceit

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Overland Park, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Explorer 2DR 4WD XL
I've done lots of searching regarding our beloved A4LD tranny. My problem is that it has a hard time shifting into 2nd when within the first few miles wile it's cold. Once it warms up it's fine.
I found a link that talks about somebody and their problem with the A4LD and it's almost like they were talking about my Explorer.
Dead Link Removed
My question is that I have no idea where to find this governor on the transmission. I've looked though my Haynes and my Chilton shop manuals and can't find any reference to it.
Does anybody have any pictures or diagrams of what this little guy looks like?
Another thing is that I have 4wd, and from what I understand that makes it more difficult to get at this governor.

Thanks for any help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The extension housing is between the transfwer case and the transmission. I havent done it but I think you jack the trans, and unbolt the driveshafts, the transfer case, extension housing, and crossmember , move the extension and transfer case back out of the way.

My FSM doesnt have the 4wd details, but for the govenor removal it says remove extension housing- remove govenor body to oil collector attaching bolts- remove body,valve,spring and weight from collector body. Install is reverse! no kidding.

Ok I remembered this;

http://www.aceomatic.com/catalog/automatics/illustration.asp?t=31

At the bottom is an unlettered drawing, reference number 3951 is the govenor assembly.

Hope that helps

im not sure if this would apply to me b/c mine shifts into 2nd but only if it hits about 3800rpm...should i look into this?

Only if it does it when it's cold out.

The problem I have is that it only shifts late when the temp is fairly cold out. Once it warms up after a few miles it runs fine until it gets a chance to completly cool down.

But if yours does it all the time then it may be straight to the tranny shop. :(

Hopefully I can get a chance to try this little fix and avoid that.

:D mine doesnt shift out of any gear till 4800 at WOT ;)

Back