A4LD assembly question for those who know | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A4LD assembly question for those who know

allmyEXes

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
No. Alabama USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Blue Ex 4.0 SOHC
Callsign
KAGG 3611 (CB)
@410Fortune @SuperGordo I know there are at least 4 people on this forum that will know the answer to the question below that I will type in bold.
I have been working on my A4LD in my 1992 Explorer of and on for the last few weeks. I never could find my ATSG Manual for the A4LD transmissions. I resorted to the 'lay all of the parts on the table' method. There is one problem though. When I turned the case over gently to get the low/reverse drum out, one part out of all of them got out of order. I reassembled the transmission but just wasn't happy about it and now I have it apart again. Below is some pictures with descriptions.
a4ld-1.jpg

The first picture is the 4.0 A4LD low/reverse drum. 2.3 and 3.0 transmissions are different. There is a top brass piece and bottom piece that I don't know the name of.
a4ld-2.jpg

Here is a picture of the drum flipped over. I think the brass ring on the bottom goes this way even though I had it the other way the first time.
a4ld-3.jpg

On the bottom, this is the way that I had it the first time.

Which direction does it go?
Over the weekend online I finally found PDF documents that are the ATSG manuals for A4LD and 5r55e (coincidentally on a website from a transmission parts supply business in Ukraine) and wouldn't you know it, in both books this particular part location and direction wasn't clear. I did come across this though.
a4ld-4.jpg

In the 5r55e they show to use a .7 inch gauge bar with a caliper to measure for a thrust washer. In the A4LD it shows how to make a depth gauge fixture out of an extra center support. The gauge bar that came in the mail this past Monday is the same length as the center support diameter.
Again, Thanks for the help guys!

After lunch I went to two different local shops that have worked on A4LD's and the first one had only worked on ones out of 4 cylinder foxbody Mustangs so he hadn't seen a low/reverse drum that looked like the one that came out of the 4.0 powered vehicle. The 2nd shop that I went to is a real Transmission Shop. Their parking lot was full of later model vehicles all needing transmission work. the guy that I showed the part to right away new which way that it goes. I then asked him the difference in 4r55s and 5r55s and he started rattling off all kinds of information. Thank you Chris at the Transmission shop.

Glad you got it sorted!

I had no idea I would have to ask Brett lol

Back