a4ld auto to manual (m5od) help??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

a4ld auto to manual (m5od) help???

1993fordexploere

Reaction score
City, State
northern california (Eureka)
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 explorer xlt 4x4
well i do know that sometime eventually my tranny is going to go and i thought the best bet would be just to do a manual tranny swap. right now i have a new fly wheel, clutch and the manual tranny, my question is what is everything i need? and any sort of help would be good to. i have searched and cant find a good write up on this swap. thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the m5od is stronger then the a4ld. right?

correct.

good good is it a lot stronger?.... im not having problems with my a4ld YET but i do want to know what im doing before it happens. lol im just tryin to aquire imformation on how to do it and what i need to do it so i can slowly collect the items.

Well its surely not as bomb proof as the trannys they got behind the v8s but it is still stronger no doubt then the a4ld. But for most people the m5od is more then enough. I had that m5od tranny (orginal) in my old 93 with a 140,000 on it with no problems. Other then burning the clutch up on it which was totally my fault.

Well its surely not as bomb proof as the trannys they got behind the v8s but it is still stronger no doubt then the a4ld. But for most people the m5od is more then enough. I had that m5od tranny (orginal) in my old 93 with a 140,000 on it with no problems. Other then burning the clutch up on it which was totally my fault.

yeah my a4ld has 155,000 on it but i know its going to go eventually so i figured i would just go manual

i was reading around and i am curious, can you use a m5od out of a 91 explorer and put it in a 93 explorer with using the 91 ecu or do you have to use a 93+ ecu???? and will someone plz give me a parts list to. thanks

I just saw this. Do a search for my thread on the swap. I have a parts list on there.

Back