A4LD Auto Transmission Cooling--------- | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A4LD Auto Transmission Cooling---------

LesH

Reaction score
City, State
St. Louis, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
I have a 1994 Ranger with the A4LD automatic transmission and want to install an external transmission cooler mounted in front of the radiator.

Questions---

How is the cooler sized?? I mean, can one be too big???

The cooler is mounted after the transmission fluid goes thru the radiator???

Which line off of the transmission goes to the radiator-- flow direction???

Thanks!!!

The bigger the better. Make sure it fits in the area you want it to.
The only time I would worry about Too big is if I lived in alaska . Then maybe the trani might run too cold.
Hot trani fluid through the radiator first then out to you added one then back to trani.
Sorry, I forgot what's what as far as direction. Someone else will chime in.

Ahh just stumbled on this http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=359215

...How is the cooler sized?? I mean, can one be too big???...
Our '92 & '93 came with trans coolers. The '92 was originally ordered with the towing package, but not the '93, so maybe Ford realized they needed it. Don't know why your '94 doesn't have one.
I like to use the largest coolers that will fit, add a PH8A oil filter and usually disconnect the radiator line. Our parts '92 has the original A4LD trans when the engine blew a freeze plug & head gasket at 219k.
I recommend the flat plate design instead of the tube/fin. It creates tremendous amounts of surface area with low flow loss. The factory coolers are flat plate, but are the thin line 3/4" version. The better version is 1 1/2" thick. B&M makes an 11" x 8" cooler that will fit inside one side of the radiator support - http://www.amazon.com/70266-SuperCo...r=1-13&keywords=automatic+transmission+cooler
The B&M flat plate series comes is 4 sizes, roughly 3" per section. When you look at the 11" x 8" you can see it is assembled from 3 sections. The largest one is 4 sections or 11" x 11".
Make sure to use high temp/pressure hoses.
I think the transmission tube that goes to the rear of the trans is dumping the fluid back into the pan. Turn the engine over without starting and see which hose fluid dribbles out.

Back