• Register Today It's free!

A4LD failure update.

Masterd

Reaction score
City, State
Upland, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer Sport
Well since my A4LD is likely on its way out anyway, I'd like to add a few more symptoms...

When I let off the gas sometimes, and theres no engine braking, the tranny will make intermittent grinding noises as I slow down....

Also, now at idle sometimes, I'm hearing a hissing / rattle type of sound when its in gear...if I put it in neutral it goes away. Ill try and get some sound clips of it, if it comes back...I messed with the cat heat shield to see if it would go away...Ill know for sure tomorrow.

As always, aside from missing 4th gear, and having a stuck governor..everything else still seems to be working OK...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Heres the kicker then..its only a 2wd truck.

But wouldn't a broken one way or planet cause symptoms, unless they're the pieces from 4th gear?

Its intermittent, it almost sounds like a garden hose with a kink in it. I was thinking front pump, but didnt think it would be intermittent.

Ill try and get a sound clip

supertro

im not sure if this helps, but i have a similar case and when i pulled the trans the torque converter was shelled

I was thinking TC too, but mine locks fine still....

Ill update as soon as it makes the noise again.

Are you getting any vibrations when this occurs?

Nope...

I got underneath and messed with the cat heat shield, thinking it was that. Havent heard the noise since...

mine started like that. then it finally quit going because a couple of small piece from the torque conv. plugged the output side of the pump. the rattle then when in forward & rev. was even mo
re severe. this would all stop when put back in park or neutral.

Well in that case Im probably screwed.

hopefully you find out it was less drastic. i was lucky enough that it happened quick (pump blockage) because it kept it from circulating through my tran. nothing inside was scarred or mangled. i shall keep my eyes open for what you find out.

Drove it today and it didnt make any noise...but its random so theres no way to tell if its gone or not really...luck of the draw...

What mileage did yours quit at? Mines got 291k on it.

Just did some cleaning underneath the truck, and took of the rear electrical connector on the tranny, and noticed it was a bit greasy/wet....any idea what that connector is for, because I cant find info on it.

Did three 1st gear engine braking tests as well...

1) Let off the gas from about 2k rpms, and it held...

2) Let off again from 2k, and it dropped to idle instead of engine braking, stepped on the gas again and it revved back up to 2k, where it was engaged before.

3) Let off from 1500, and it held 1st.

This is really confusing...what could possibly cause intermittent engine braking, and sometimes a grinding noise when it drops to idle instead of engine braking?

Alright here 2 video clips of the issues:

1) The noise it makes sometimes in gear, but goes away when I take it to P or N

th_UnderneathGrind.jpg

2) Heres the no engine braking part. I couldn't get it to hold in this clip....you can hear the grinding noise right near the end of the video where I let off from 3k, sound like a fishing reel when you cast.....notice how the rpms fall to idle and free rev back into gear when i re-accelerate

th_NoEngineBraking.jpg

Unless you are in manual 2, it's not going to hold that gear when you let off. It will coast. See if you get engine braking doing this:

Put it in D, not OD, get into third gear and let off, it should give you engine braking.

Then put it in manual 2, let off, it should work,

and then the same thing in Manual 1.

In my experience yes sometimes it will not go all the way back down to idle. I think it depends on exact speed and engine RPM's, load conditions, lots of stuff.

Engine braking in 3rd seems to do OK around town, but out on the highway (since 4th is gone), itll usually fall to idle unless I really wail on it and then let off, the theres a change that itll hold.

BTW - Engine braking in manual 1 and 2 used to work all the time.

Also - If you notice on the first video, when I shift into gear, the cat drops down a little bit....that could be the perfect amount to let the heat shield move around and rattle....I dont know if they came tack welded from the factory, but mine just sits there.

Back