• Register Today It's free!

A4LD is shot what next?

Sam94EB

Reaction score
City, State
Dilworth MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Ok so I have a 1994 EB and I have fallen in love with this truck but..... The tranny just took a dump on me and I need to figure out what to do next. Can anyone help me! Do I rebuild it? What kit should I buy? Or Mod it and upgrade. I have a bit of money and time considering everything going on. I will never let this truck go even if it's a money pit. But cheap ideas are very much welcome.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Three choices:
1, rebuild:
rebuild the A4LD by somebody who KNOWS WHAT THE HECK THEY ARE DOING
The internals of the A4LD can be upgraded BIG TIME using the parts from the later model 5r55 transmissions
I can put you in touch with @Brett from this forum, he builds these transmissions and has this upgraded unit down to a science

2. Convert to a 5 speed
You can gather up the parts and pieces needed to convert your beloved truck to a 5 speed manual. I wont go into details as this has been covered on this forum extensively

3. Convert to a C4/5 automatic
You can convert to the older 3 speed auto, the C4/5. They can be built bomb proof the sky is the limit with a C4 build. If you are 4x4 then you would need the much harder to find C5 auto from a early Ranger/BII to make this happen. The early c4 does not have the aluminum overdrive drum the a4ld has and it is only 3 speeds....but alot of desert racers use these transmissions as they can be built TOUGH

Ok so I am thinking to go with the Rebuild. Cheapest and easiest route I assume. Thanks for all the info. If you could send Brent my way that would awesome.

Brett** my bad lol.

I will point Brett to this thread
I am sure there are others who have upgraded the a4LD lately?
I sold mine back in 05 when I went v8

I did talk to Brett. He asked if I wanted him to build one. I am hoping he can do it. Without it being too much money lol

yeah buddy
Brett built transmission is a goooood thing to have

I am hoping to get the tranny in along with all the new front suspension parts I got. New brake lines along with pads and shoes. Change the TC shift motor. Give the engine a solid tune up. I am seriously considering rebuilding it as well. That one will probably have to wait depending on time & $. Go over every inch of it. Try to remove, repair or replace anything rusted out. Do some minor paint touch-ups. Have you ever seen someone do like a spray on truck bed lining on the undercarriage that's another project I have been contemplating. I live in ND/MN winter and salted roads are a trucks worst nightmare.

bedliner is not made to be an undercoating
what you want to use is called chassis saver made by magnet paints
Brett might take a while to build a transmission, Borg Warner is shut down right now and so are his parts supply places
Also he is a busy dude....so you gotta be patient. Worth the wait!

From what he described I don't think there is anything better as far as rebuilds go. I am Soo pumped. I am going to see if he can get me a parts list. Then I can work on that. I still have access to a few good Junkyards. A month or so ago I pulled an HVAC switch from a ranger same year. I'm going to try and pull anything and everything I can from it. If they haven't crushed it seems like 1st gens are pretty close to being phased out. Won't stop me though. It will be Soo sweet when I get too post my before and after pics

Frankentranny is the way to go if you have someone who knows what they're doing. ie, Brett. It'll be worth the wait.

Ok so I have a 1994 EB and I have fallen in love with this truck but..... The tranny just took a dump on me and I need to figure out what to do next. Can anyone help me! Do I rebuild it? What kit should I buy? Or Mod it and upgrade. I have a bit of money and time considering everything going on. I will never let this truck go even if it's a money pit. But cheap ideas are very much welcome.
Sorry to hear your trans grenaded, just went through the same thing. I went with a upgraded a4ld rebuild route. I pulled it out which honestly isnt that bad and shipped it to a local trans shop H&M. He did hd clutch packs shift kit and tourqe converter for a little over 1250. One of the major issues with these trans is overheating. I went to a local junk yard and pulled a trans cooler out of a f350 and had the trans shop flush both coolers out to make sure no metal particulates can injure my new trans. I'm going to be installing a temp sensor before the 1st cooler to ensure I'm running nice and cool.

Back