A4LD- leaky transmission- front seal? requesting trans expert advice please | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A4LD- leaky transmission- front seal? requesting trans expert advice please

iLoveMyExploder

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer XLT 4X4
requesting advice from an expert- or at least someone who has done this repair before....

ive posted before about this. I told about how it started leaking trans fluid, finally got underneath it to try and find the leak- couldn't find an exact source, just that fluid was all over the back side of the engine, mainly on the side the oil filter is on- as well as all over everything on the lower part of the engine..... I was told this was because the front pump seal on the transmission that has gone bad.

I was just poking around on autozone's website looking at front seals... there are so many different ones- and they even look different. which one is the right one? which ever one it is, the part is not expensive and I think it can find it's way into my broke ass budget, assuming this is the source of the leak.

I am thinking of taking a crack at it myself- how difficult is it to repair? could someone possibly give me detailed, yet dumbed down instructions how to do it? hopefully with photos or maybe videos? how much dismantling is required? any special tools?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if its the front seal on the trans . you have to pull the trans & transfer case . you then pull out the torque converter & you can replace the seal . just be sure to spin The torque converter good when putting it back as you have two steps it has to go . you spin the converter while you jiggle it up & down . Its not a job for the faint of heart . as for the front seal Timken # 2658 should be the one you need .

so this means I have to completely remove the transmission, correct? I know what a torque converter looks like, but my knowledge of transmissions is even less of that of engines (but I am learning). its best to think of me as a complete idiot on vehicle matters- I am by far not an expert and not extremely knowledgeable for identifying parts.... ill do some research on this and see what I can learn and better understand what youre talking about.... would the process on this repair differ much from any other rear wheel drive vehicle, or are they all basically the same?

as for the front seal Timken # 2658 should be the one you need .

more questions about this seal- how will I know whether or not this seal is the real problem? will it be broken, cracked or obviously damaged, or will it have shrunk or expanded or otherwise appear to be flawless to the naked eye, yet still be no good?

also- is there any one brand better than others, or are they all basically the same? I looked up the various front seals autozone site claims are a perfect fit for the exploder, and some are more expensive than others- but even the most expensive one looks like it wont break the bank. by buying a more expensive part, would I be getting better quality, or just paying for a name? ...also- will I need any special tools for the job?

I think I can handle pulling out the trans and getting it back in- and removing and replacing the torque converter- I watched someone do this on an old 70's ford truck and it didn't seem to look that difficult, aside from needing a lot of hulk strength. I just fear having to dismantle the trans- since I know nothing about them. I don't want to end up doing something I regret- like not being able to get it all back together properly.

if you look at the 2658v seal it will look like the timken 2658 . like i said the most important part is to make sure your converter is all the way back . which is fully seated . you could try to gunk it all down underneath then try to pin point the leak first . be a shame to pull the trans for nothing .

when i got under there to try and find the source of the leak- I could find none- and this was also with the engine running and both the engine and trans at operating temp. there was a lot of areas that had evidence of transmission fluid leaking- all over the front of the trans- and the back of the engine- mainly on the side the oil filter is on- all over the bottom of the oil pan AND transmission pan.... even all over the side of the oil filter that is facing the transmission has fluid on it- just on the one side, not literally all over the oil filter....

there is evidence of a leak spraying the trans fluid all over the place under there, but no visible source of the leak- all the hoses and connections are not leaking as far as I can tell. I posted details and photos about it on another thread, someone said it was a front seal or front pump seal, or something like that... which would cause this condition.... it seems that it only leaks while the truck is in motion and the trans is in operation, since it didnt leak a drop while in park and running- also didn't leak any with the engine off. and when I checked, the engine was hot and the transmission had been operating. I spent a lot of time under there looking for a source of the leak, but couldnt seem to find anything except evidence of leakage.

so...front seal- could this be right? or is it possible to be something else?

should I make sure the trans is full to the brim- and then get up under there again with it running? when I did it before, the dipstick said there was a normal amount of fluid in the trans, that's why I got under there to search for leaks

Darn that really does not sound or act like a front seal leaking . dont see how it could be getting on the oil filter . that could be a line . I have attached a pic to show you the location of the lines . I am also attaching a pic of what to expect with a front seal leaking . Look at these & see if they help you any . Keep us informed , we are here to help . Good luck .
upload_2017-1-21_5-54-45.png
upload_2017-1-21_5-50-11.png
upload_2017-1-21_5-50-11.png

when i got under there to try and find the source of the leak- I could find none- and this was also with the engine running and both the engine and trans at operating temp. there was a lot of areas that had evidence of transmission fluid leaking- all over the front of the trans- and the back of the engine- mainly on the side the oil filter is on- all over the bottom of the oil pan AND transmission pan.... even all over the side of the oil filter that is facing the transmission has fluid on it- just on the one side, not literally all over the oil filter....

there is evidence of a leak spraying the trans fluid all over the place under there, but no visible source of the leak- all the hoses and connections are not leaking as far as I can tell. I posted details and photos about it on another thread, someone said it was a front seal or front pump seal, or something like that... which would cause this condition.... it seems that it only leaks while the truck is in motion and the trans is in operation, since it didnt leak a drop while in park and running- also didn't leak any with the engine off. and when I checked, the engine was hot and the transmission had been operating. I spent a lot of time under there looking for a source of the leak, but couldnt seem to find anything except evidence of leakage.

so...front seal- could this be right? or is it possible to be something else?

Am I understanding you correctly...you are finding trans fluid under the engine / oil pan areas? With transmission fluid in FRONT of the tranny, under the engine / oil pan area, that makes me think your leak is up front, on the hard lines, or possibly the soft lines going to the aux cooler (if you have one) or the hard lines going into the radiator.

I mean normally, if you're getting trans fluid all over under the engine, it means one of the aforementioned lines is weeping.

It's when you find NO trans fluid under the front, and it's blowing BACK toward the rear of the truck, that I would suspect a front seal leak. I wouldn't be so quick to pull the trans, if all you have is a weep or leak up front. I'd rule that out first.

How often - in miles driven - do you have to add transmission fluid?

Back