A4LD Low Reverse Servo

houtxcowboy

Reaction score
City, State
Pearland TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT 4x2
Hello,

Where can I get/buy parts for this servo? Explanation below...

I have searched all threw this forum for where to buy or where to get the seals for the Low/Reverse servo piston. Finding them for the intermediate and OD servo doesn't seem to be an problem, but I am not going that far (yet) with this.

I bought a used VB on eBay and did a rebuild on it after reading both the posting on VB rebuilding. I have also gone threw the Bullet Proof Rebuild Diary many times. I reference all of these all the time and have them bookmarked for quick access.

I am about to install this rebuilt VB in my 4x2 94' Exploder (lets hope not) and I want to service the Low/Reverse servo while I am in there. The Transgo A4LDjr kit I used has a new spring for that servo but does not include the seals, and I cannot find them at sonnax.com or transmissionpartsusa.com.

Also my replacement VB did not have that extra spool and spring behind the kick down spool (the one just beside the manual valve spool). What is that and should I try to add that to the VB if I can find it? The Transgo kit references it as a REV.2 type design, mine just has a spring between two plugs in that area.

Part of my current problems with my A4LD trannie currently in use is the classic delayed reverse and delayed 1st gear engagement. So I really need to look at servicing this servo from everything I have been reading.

Thanks in advance, this is one of the best, greatest and most informative forums I have ever been a part of. Talk about educational ... :)

Dan
(houtxcowboy) :smoke:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello,

Where can I get/buy parts for this servo? Explanation below...

I have searched all threw this forum for where to buy or where to get the seals for the Low/Reverse servo piston. Finding them for the intermediate and OD servo doesn't seem to be an problem, but I am not going that far (yet) with this.

I bought a used VB on eBay and did a rebuild on it after reading both the posting on VB rebuilding. I have also gone threw the Bullet Proof Rebuild Diary many times. I reference all of these all the time and have them bookmarked for quick access.

I am about to install this rebuilt VB in my 4x2 94' Exploder (lets hope not) and I want to service the Low/Reverse servo while I am in there. The Transgo A4LDjr kit I used has a new spring for that servo but does not include the seals, and I cannot find them at sonnax.com or transmissionpartsusa.com.

Also my replacement VB did not have that extra spool and spring behind the kick down spool (the one just beside the manual valve spool). What is that and should I try to add that to the VB if I can find it? The Transgo kit references it as a REV.2 type design, mine just has a spring between two plugs in that area.

Part of my current problems with my A4LD trannie currently in use is the classic delayed reverse and delayed 1st gear engagement. So I really need to look at servicing this servo from everything I have been reading.

Thanks in advance, this is one of the best, greatest and most informative forums I have ever been a part of. Talk about educational ... :)

Dan
(houtxcowboy) :smoke:

I can't help with your delima, but I could use some info. Where is the low/reverse servo located? I'm installing the A4LD Junior kit too.

Thanks.

Transmissionpartsusa used to carry the low/reverse servo D ring kit for the A4LD but I do not see it on the website anymore. Many rebuild kits are adding those but if you want JUST the )-rings, it looks like you are going to have to visit a FORD dealer. Last time I bought them from FORD I had to buy 3 of each... and they were just O-rings, not the D rings.

Thanks BB... odd ...I searched the site for that and came up empty handed and assumed they dropped it.

Thanks a ton Glacier and Brooklyn, that was a huge help.

Well this past weekend I went for it and installed my rebuilt VB and did the low/reverse servo maintenance and modification. For the most part all went amazingly very well. I credit that to all the great posting on this forum. I have learned so so much about the A4LD from this site I almost think I could rebuild this thing myself, and that is something I never would of considered for a shade-tree or weekend warrior type mechanic.

I am going to put up a post on my activities this weekend. I want all to know that it is possible with some self education that a VB job is doable and can be done successfully. (to the degree that I measure my successes by)

Thanks again guys for the help and advice,
Houtx :salute:

For the record....
I was missing this second valve spool that is located behind the kick down spool. (borrowing pics from TN_Explorers VB diary)

Slide14.JPG

The image below is what I was missing on my replacement VB. When I pulled out my original VB it has this valve spool in it. So I made a decision to go ahead and add it to my newly rebuilt VB. What I soon found out is if your going to do this then you have to replace the entire assembly including the kick-down spool. They almost look the same but (wish I had a picture) the neck or part that sticks out for the kick-down lever to push on is about 1/4 inch longer on the one that does not have the extra bits.
Slide15.JPG

Still do not know why this is missing or not missing on some VB units. Mine also did not have that big return spring on the low/reverse servo piston.

For rguy:
The location of the Low/Reverse servo cover: (servo piston located inside this cover in the center of the picture)
(image borrowed from Glaciers transmission rebuild diary)
15286Dscn4072.jpg

It is so very important (I am echoing what I learned from these guru's here) that the output shaft NOT be turned while this servo is out of the transmission. I made sure of this buy engaging my parking brake and then securing the drive shaft with some heavy duty bungee cords. I did not have any problems when it came time to put the trannie in "R". My reverse and low gear worked just fine.

Later...
:cool:

Back