a4ld new modulator valve, stuck in 1st | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

a4ld new modulator valve, stuck in 1st

92expl0der

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
Okay I just put in a new modulator valve on my 92. The tranny shifted fine before but now it stays in 1st gear EXCEPT if placed in 2, thats it. So I will go down to 1. then when i shift to 2, 2nd gear engages. then when i hit D (3rd) it goes back to 1st gear, same with Overdrive gear. Help?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes mine has the wheel on it. Ugh not looking foward to taking everything apart again.

My guess is that when you replaced the modulator... you didn't remove the throttle valve (TV) spool....and it can be a b*t*h to get out... I am starting to be of the mind that a modulator replacement needs something akin to a rifle bore brush of the proper size used to clean that bore (AFTER the TV is out and prior to replacement) to avoid future sticking problems. The problems associated with modulator replacement causing problems in the A4LD are legion, and I think that may be why... just musing here. But, I don't think adjusting the modulator will do anything for you here.

I did not know about this TV spool. Im guessing I have to take the modulator out again? Also once I get into the bore, what am I feeling for. Im not sure what a spool is much less a TV one?

I am thinking I just need to reach into the bore and pull out whatever is in there? And does this need to be replaced when i put the new modulator on or do I leave the spool off and re-install the new modulator and drive the truck without this spool thing? Im pretty lost but Im not giving up hope. I am trying very hard to avoid the transmission shop. Also is there a danger of accidentally pushing the spool causing it to drop into the tranny? Thanks for any help,,

92exp0der

Here's a picture from Glacier991's photo gallery:
15286DSCN4991.jpg

mine doesnt have a wheel like that, its like a small screw on the end of it. And so with this spool. How do i take it out? And does it have to be replaced with a new one? Still confused. But thanks for the picture that helps alot.

Use a fine needle nose pliers, or a locking hemostat/forcepts to remove the spring, and the spool. Spray WD-40 into the bore. A fine tube brush would be a good idea to use. Don't lose the pin.

VM spring

Looking at the pictures of the 2 VM's, only 1 has a spring ot the end of the (spool?). Is this correct? HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL!!:usa::salute::usa:

Back