A4LD Noise and Where to look to fix | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A4LD Noise and Where to look to fix

Nuggethead 420

Reaction score
City, State
Milwaukee, wi
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Eddie Bauer
Hello All,

More troble with the A4ld, I have had this problem since I installed this so called rebuilt tranny last december.

There is a ticking in the tranny, sounds like a lifter tick but in the tranny.
I checked with the stethiscope and it is coming from inside the A4ld.

Now that I know how to rebuild the valve body, this is my next concern.

I did find in the old valve body a piece of copper all mashed up??

Directly related to the noise.....You tell me.

The Monster runns well but it sounds terible when you start it up in the am it sounds like lifters with no oil pressure, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick,tick!!!

I am baffled by the sound I thought at first it was the toque converter bolts hitting the plate as it spun. but it is coming from the heart of the tranny??

All help is appreciated and I know I will get it. So fire away and get the juices flowing, all sugestions are welcome.

Thanks,

Nuggethead 420

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A tick tick tick type of noise..... does it vary in response to rpms? (The latest Al Quaida plot, bombs in transmissions)... seriously usually a noise like that is either caused by rotating objects encountering something in their revolutions... some point of interference, or something that moves back and forth in a planar fashion with excess clearance (like tappet valves). I cannot think of a single "best candidate" for your complaint... and suspect that IF it truly is coming from within the transmission, you may be looking at having to pull it..... other better minds may have better ideas.

(Nothing in the valve body fits those descriptions btw....and mashed up "copper" sounds like a bearing surface ripped up and redeposited).

PS. did you reuse the old TC?

yes, The TC is the originsal to the replacement tranny. 84,000 on it. But still kicking or is it ticking I forget. Planar?? Uou mean recipricationg motion or co lineiare motion.
I cannot think of a piece in the tranny that runs in that fasion for the tempo that the ticking makes? I have the old original tranny that I want to rebuild and have ready for spring. But i JUST HAVE THIS FEAR THAT oN THE COLDEST DAY IT WILL TAKE A ****!!!!

This is the luck I have.

Does the sound happen when you are in park/neutral/in gear and stopped, or does it only happen in gear and moving?

Does it only happen on startup and cold, or even when it is warmed up?

I read somewhere on here a post about a ticking sound ultimately being driveshaft related...... and yes by planar I was referring to reciprocating

Ticking all the time. If it were in the engine compartment I would guess it was lifter noise. That is what it sounds like and it goes with the rpms.

I have new u-joints in the drive shaft replaced them in jan.

I was not giving you a hard time Glacier991 I was just trying to be spacific thats all. It is the Engineer in me. It sounds to far back for the TC.

Back