A4LD problems | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A4LD problems

good I have to think, I am not equipped to remove and put back a box, no lift and no pit

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I’m back, I took out the gearbox and it was the pump that dropped, so long as it was removed I took the opportunity to see why it didn’t pass in 3 , I realized that the two drums were the same , with hole , my old box had one with hole and one without hole , see pictures , is this normal?
2021_05_25_16_35_46.jpg
2021_05_25_16_35_29.jpg

Hard to make a call from the pictures but the drum in the case is the OD/ coast clutch drum. And the drum that is out is the direct clutch drum.
Not sure what your asking.
Brad

on the second photo , the one with the holes , there is the number 7D044 the same number of the drum out
, I think it is an update but I am not sure

That is NOT the same drum! Not an update. Which drum are you wanting to replace?

On the drum it is noted 7D047 , when doing a search on ebay it is written direct drum so it must be good , here is a photo with the number
drum 7D047.jpg

The o/d drum is the n° 7L669

My mistake, you are correct on numbers. Good luck.
Brad

I noticed that during my previous reconstruction, I forgot to put washer back behind assy support, is it possible that this is the cause I didn’t have a third?

Do you mean a washer, or a bushing, or a torrington bearing? I'm not familiar with the guts of the A4LD, I learned more by viewing the A4LD diary that Glacier created 15 years ago. You should read through that for good reference pictures etc. It should be among the sticky threads, of the transmission section of the forum.

when I put the torque converter back on the box, i have only 0.23 , Glacier indicates that the standard is between 0.375 and 0.625 , someone can tell me where the problem comes from? input shaft mounted upside down?
1626104932190.png

The TC isn't in all of the way, it should go in 2-3 steps. Lift up on the TC to hold it level as you turn it and gently push it in. It's easier to install if you could stand the trans on it's back end. I used a large diameter plastic pipe, some spare home plumbing item, to temporarily stand it up. Then the TC has no side forces making it hard to engage the pump.

You did well to check that, which is a critical item to be able to install it on the engine. If the TC isn't in all the way, the forces will be on the internal pump, and the crankshaft, both can fail that way.

the input shaft has two different length of splines , which goes into the box ?

Hi guys , news from my box , it’s up but I still have a little problem , on reverse the reversing lights light up but I don’t have contact on P or N , someone has a trick to loosen the neutral switch without removing the gearbox?

hi , I just took the pressures of the box , in slow motion , I have about 55 psi in P,N,OD,D,2,1 , that’s good in R I have about 105 psi , that’s a lot and it doesn’t back even by giving gazs , on the other hand it advances in D even in slow motion , an idea?

Those pressures are low, it sounds like a pump issue or the main pressure solenoid, the EPC solenoid I think it has. That's just guessing, diagnosing pressure issues is a high end experts deal.

yes the pressure is a little low , normally it is between 57 and 78 , reverse between 67 and 105 so at the upper limit , in addition when I put the reverse , the engine idle with speed increases , the speed is not regular , maybe the fluid is not yet at the right level

my gearbox is a4ld , i hope she have not epc solenoid

Yeah, I don't think it has the EPC which is a main pressure control solenoid.

Yours may be bleeding off excessive pressure through VB components or the accumulators. That's where an expert comes in, they would know better, which pressures could point to what possible leaks or components.

may be a track, in P,N,OD,D,2,1 the manometer acute is stable, in R, the acute shake , ca may be oriented towards the problem

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

here I am back , after a lot of research and work on the box it is going much better ,it goes from 1 to 2 and 2 to 3 without problems , it remains a problem with the 4 , I have to climb to about 70 miles an hour for it to pass and it retrograde as it forces a little but well I don’t often need the 4 , I only do small trips it is also less nervous due to at ratio 3.36 instead of 3.73 , I wonder if my speedometer is still fair , I would check with a gps

Back