A4LD rebuild - need more space below center support! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A4LD rebuild - need more space below center support!

cweagle

Reaction score
City, State
Boston, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
I'm getting a little desperate here, sorry for the long post but not sure what else to look at.

I am still working on my A4LD rebuild, now and then. I got all the clutch packs rebuilt (didn't need the special guide sleeves, or the compressor - I made one out of a PVC pipe fitting and some bar clamps). I pressed in the rear inner sprag race (the one from Sonnax). Putting it all back together, when I get to the center support, I find that it is at least 0.125" too high, plus whatever space would be needed for the selective washer (maybe another 0.050" or whatever, for a total of 0.175" missing). I took the huge clutch pack back out and verified that it was all the way together. Then I took out the rear planetaries and looked for slop there. Then I got all the way down to a bare case and verified that 1) the Sonnax race is the same size (slightly taller, within 0.020" or so) as the stock one I removed, and 2) it was really close to being pressed down all the way (within 0.020"). I talked to the Sonnax guys and they said that the top of the race should be flush with the top of the aluminum snout it presses down in, but beyond that they had no real ideas. BTW, they didn't seem concerned that their rear washer was thicker than the stock one either.

In any event, there is no obvious place to get 0.175". I did notice that it is really hard to get the snap-ring onto the rear shaft; the snapring groove is just barely exposed. Do I remember that there was some longitudinal play there before? Could that have anything to do with this? Where could it have come from? Help! :)

Also - did anybody ever post the dimensions of the the A4LD pump alignment tool? I was hoping to make up a couple on the lathe at work...

Back