• Register Today It's free!

A4LD rebuild or replace?

ShadowdogKGB

Reaction score
City, State
Tioga County, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Navajo
I'm ready to plop down 1500-1700 to rebuild or replace my '91 A4LD. Can somebody recommend a company that sells rebuilt A4LD? I know a reputable mechanic who can rebuild mine but was thinking it would be easier and quicker just to buy a rebuilt unit.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Depends what you are doing. Daily driver, find a low miler scrap truck with a good trans and buy it for $300. Install it yourself or pay $500 to have it swapped (providing your lines are good).

Off roader or trailer-puller? Now is the time to make a decision. A4LDs don't like alot of strain/abuse. If this is your avenue, get yourself a GMC 700R4 Trans and a swap kit (details available at www.explorer4x4.com). Apparently they bolt right in with the kit. I am not certain on the cost, but I have heard that they are able to handle the severe duty that kill A4LDs.

If you want an A4LD, I have an ad in the 'Explorers for sale' section, with a good trans out-of-truck and a good one still in a daily driver for sale. Check it out if interested. L8r!

Well, used transmissions are easy to find around here but they're all high-mileage. It's just gonna be a daily driver. No heavy stuff. I don't want to spend all this money and have it crap out on me a year later. I want to do it right the first time.

If this mechanic rebuilds it for me I'm going to be sure to show him the A4LD rebuild diary. I'll print it out and give it to him. What's a good rebuild kit, if any, to recommend? Or just buy the parts as we go. I just want a solid rebuild. Nothing extravagant.

Don't do a plain soft parts rebuild. Inspect all of the internal hard parts for wear. How many miles do you have on it? Some parts like the planetaries, thrust washers, sprags, and pump gears are high wear parts. The valve body is often neglected, and should be rebuilt at the same time. Flush the cooler before you reinstall the rebuilt transmission. Never reinstall the same torque converter from a transmission which is shot. It could push old debris back into the system like the cooler.

It has 165,000 miles on it and all forward motion is gone. Reverse still works. I was looking at this kit. link

Does that have most of the hard parts?

You have to ship your torque converter to him or pay the $45 core charge. The cooler looks like a standard tube & fin cooler. They make a stacked plate cooler which is more efficient, but cost more. It says that it only comes with one band. It doesn't say anything about the 2 solenoids, thrust washers, or any major hard parts other than the band. He even throws 5 baseball cards into the deal! Check the prices of the individual parts on WWW.TransmissionPartsUSA.Com. He gives you the regular ATSG rebuild manual, but not the update manual.

Right on. That's just the kind of place I was looking for. I guess I'm gonna have him pull the tranny out and inspect everything to see what all is needed first. Thanks for the help!

look at this a4ld

i have been looking at this site [URL="http://www.transmissioncenter.com what do ya thank about it

Back