• Register Today It's free!

A4LD repair experience

bob47

Reaction score
City, State
Montour Falls, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT
I remain in awe of Glacier's A4LD overhaul thread. As an airplane mechanic I have sympathy for "bulletproof" repairs, but I am really allergic to spending a lot of my own money. My son bought a "bad-tranny special" on Ebay, and this was his experience:

#1 The transmission had no reverse... "reverse" was just another "forward". He disassembled the A4LD and reassembled it with the best looking parts from the junk box. This was mostly the low- reverse clutch pack and housing. He states that he would have reused the fluid if he could have. The boy thinks like his dad.

#2 The above overhaul lasted 20 miles before it spewed hot oil and had to be dollied home the next day. The trannie was again disassembled and this time the well-toasted forward clutch pack was replaced with our best parts from the junkbox. Not to break anybody's heart, but most any trannie can be U- Pulled from the local yard for $75, and cores are $25. We've got lots of parts!

This repair lasted a week before the transmission insisted on starting up in second gear more and more frequently. It died one afternoon in the driveway after barely getting up the hill, redlined in first gear.

#3 Now he got serious, and broke the cellophane wrapper on the "master overhaul kit" that he had on the shelf. The tranny (and the valve body) was rendered into a table- full of catalog parts.

Disassembly of the valve body revealed the tranny's underlying problem... There was an incredible crud build-up and the spools were jamming (not just sticking), making different gear selections fight against each other. The ATP valve body mod was installed as part of the reassembly, and it is regarded as a big plus. The new overhaul parts were installed with good-lookin' hard parts as necessary.

The lines were flushed, and an in-line filter was installed, as well as an additional external oil cooler. The torque converter was replaced with a local re-man and the input bushing was replaced without the infamous re-machining to center.

This repair has lasted a month, perhaps a thousand miles, and is holding well. It even pulled Ma's Crown Vic up the hill from town happily. The fluid is still a cheery "arterial red" and I'll keep you folks posted on how this works out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

my a4ld has been out 3 times now and they are still saying it is in the valve body... I start in the morning and it wont shift out of first on its own for a while... then I manualy shift it to second and at about 40 or 45mph I hit it in OD and usually it will work fine after that... I am so pissed about my tranny I am thinking of converting it to a gm tranny or something else.... I just want the damn tranny to work.. tired of drop'n the tranny for it to work a day or two and go back to the same problem...

Hope you have good luck with yours... BTW what is the ATP valve body mod?????
hell mine was rebuilt and used the trans-go shift improver and hardened input shaft and I still have problems.... Thanks, Jason

Jason:

My guess is that your trans- go kit does the same as the one by ATP. It makes the shift a bit crisper... Bob

Great tale well told! Thanks for keeping us posted.

A4LD rebuild experinece = bad
Enough said.

Well, yes anything to do with the A4LD seems to be a bad experience, but I believe that more experience makes it less bad, and that is what discussion boards should be all about.

I am new here, and short on history... but it seems that Glacier really broke the ice with the A4LD rebuild journal. It took a lot of time for him to research and do the work, and even more time to tell the rest of us about it. I think that his journal got a bunch more people thinking "I can do that!...". The more hands we have fussing with it, the better it will be understood; more people will drive it within its limits, filter and cool it, tend it, and what the hell- spend a weekend every few years fixing it.

Detroit wants us to buy new cars, take them to the dealer for service, and buy another one when we are told the old one is worn out. I get a great deal of satisfaction from thumbing my nose at an industry which thinks we are so stupid

And a P.S.- Our back yard is graced with another bad- tranny special. it is a Ranger which was used to plow snow! Everything but first gear works fine. Our guess that the rear one-way clutch failed. We are thinking "easy fix"... we'll let you know.

OH sorry I wasnt talking down about the A4LD, in fact I think they are great units from the factory if well maintained and not overheated. Also they can be great when rebuilt properly, but the problem aften lies inthe rebuild, you see Ford autos have some very tight tolerences internally and it is difficult for rebuilders to match the factory quality assembly. Some rebuilds work great, most when it comes to the A4LD do not.

Well mine goes back in next week and the tranny guy is going to put a valve body kit in it... The gears are there it is just the tranny is not shifting to them...

I have rebuilt 1000's of a4lds and other unit for ford for 15 years and have min.
comebacks for overhaul.Had some for leaks and sensor problems but have had a good run on trans.If you set clutch pack and end play clearance and servo depths they last.
Also i have always air checked every unit.

hey cutter when my tranny goes how could i get you to rebuild mine. so far it has lasted 223000 miles not too bad

223000 ??? damn you have had some luck.... I think I know what the problem is after someone brought a article to my attention.... Not shifting from 1st when cold.... Thanks, Jason

my a4ld has been out 3 times now and they are still saying it is in the valve body... I start in the morning and it wont shift out of first on its own for a while... then I manualy shift it to second and at about 40 or 45mph I hit it in OD and usually it will work fine after that... I am so pissed about my tranny I am thinking of converting it to a gm tranny or something else.... I just want the damn tranny to work.. tired of drop'n the tranny for it to work a day or two and go back to the same problem...

mine is doing the same thing. this is after i have replaced every clutch pack in the thing and i am going to check valve body so im not really sure what it will be but i really would like some suggestions about that!!!!!!!!!!!

A cold "no 1-2 shift" problem in the A4LD is nearly always governor related. SO much so that I am nearly of the mind that a rebuild should just replace the governor body as a matter of course. Anyway, it can be repaired without pulling the trannie. Do a search on Governor and you will pull up lots of info on it.

Governer is good place to look but a shift take governer and modulator and 1-2 shift valve to shift.I have found when most shops rebuid a trans they dont reseal the clutch packs out of lazyness they air check them to see if they apply and go with it.The seals will be working but they are leaking.

yup that is what I am thinking the gov is stuck... He had made a comment about it befor... So just maybe....

Back