• Register Today It's free!

A4LD Shift Problems

e_tietze

Reaction score
City, State
Lebanon, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Explorer 4x4
I have a 92 exporer 4x4 automatic. I bought it with a bad engine and replaced the engine. A few days after replacing the engine the front seal in the trans started leaking. Pulled the trans and replaced front seal and vac. modulator.

After reinstalling the trans, I am having shift problems. When shifting from 2nd to drive, it kicks into drive, then acts like it kicks back down to 2nd for a second or two and then back into drive. Also, it no longer goes into overdrive. When driving down the road if you let off the accelerator it will go into overdrive but as soon as you touch the accelerator it goes back into drive. I don't think we were having any of these problems before the seal and mod. replacement. The CEL is on sometimes and giving a code that refers to the 3/4 shift selonoid and the TCC. This isn't a CM error.

Any ideas as to what may be causing the problem and where to start on fixing it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When you changed the modulator ... did the little short rod behind the modulator fall out or get lost?

Modulator Rod

It may have fell out, I don't think it did but I wouldn't swear to it. Would that cause all the problems I am experiencing?

Back