A4ld swap to???????, trany upgrade, C4,C5,C6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A4ld swap to???????, trany upgrade, C4,C5,C6

Reaction score
City, State
Missoula, MT
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Eddie bouwer
I was wondering if anyone had done a swap on the a4ld trany? I like the idea of the c4 or c5 but I would like to have OD if possible. I’m looking for a trany that will hold up to some 40s and some off-road use.

would the c6 swap? if at all possible I would like to swap as little as possible but I was thinking of doing a duel t-case so if I have to change that its cool.

p.s. running on d60 and d 80 rear 40's

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You could swap the A4LD for a 700R4, or a manual. Gremlinstien has a sticky about all of these adapters in the transmission section. Keep in mind the fact that the A4LD has 2 solenoids (TCC, and 3-4 OD), so the computer will send out signals for them.

Let me get this straight you are running 40" tires and you dont want to give up your overdrive?

The 700R4 or the C4/5 is the only route I would take with those monster axles and tires. C6 will not bolt up
There are new adapters on the market for the 4.0L V6 to mate up to small block Ford transmissions, but IMO if you are going to go that far just put the V8 in there with it.

410Fortune said:
Let me get this straight you are running 40" tires and you dont want to give up your overdrive?

The 700R4 or the C4/5 is the only route I would take with those monster axles and tires. C6 will not bolt up
There are new adapters on the market for the 4.0L V6 to mate up to small block Ford transmissions, but IMO if you are going to go that far just put the V8 in there with it.

Ya your right, i dont know what i was thinking (ohhh!!! Ya i wasnt). So ya i think the way i may go is with C4 or a C6 but i dont know if the C6 will bolt up or have an adapter. What/Where did you think i could get one of those adapters? i plan on getting a V8 but i cant aford it so just the trany for now. Thanks for the help and anyadvice.

I've got a C4 in mine and I love it. It bolted right up. all i had to fab was a new tranny mount/crossmember.

--Ryan

Carfreak a C4 does not just "bolt right up" not without using the C5 bellhousing at least and if you are 4x4 you will need th4e C5 tailhousing as well.
Also a C4 should be built, most of them are WEAK and could use some serious updates before sticking it behind the 4.0L or 5.0L
then of course there are some wiring issues to deal with and the trans mount, transfer case location and driveshafts.

Sure if you address all this before the install it can go like clock work but to tell somebody it just bolted right up is getting them into some trouble :)

Back