a4ld to Manual M50D Swap How-to | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

a4ld to Manual M50D Swap How-to

Status
Not open for further replies.
good write up, i am working on the same undertaking, i have my donor vehicle lined up going to pick it up Friday. manual trany has 40k on it. i think its a steal for what i am paying. I'm planning on taking lots of pictures just for my own memory. the total from O'Reilly auto is about $360.00 with clutch master, starter, throwout, clutch slave, pilot bearing, rubber plugs. This was very helpful.

you mention removing some covers from the dash but then show the entire dash removed but indicated it was "neked". was that necessary for the swap? i think that you were doing something else at the time.

always check your peddle tree for cracks and replace the bushings if warn.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

AWESOME!! This is a fantastic write-up. I was looking for just this type of thread, as I eventually plan to swap my auto for a 5 speed. Husband says its not worth it, but I think so! I'm going to slowly gather parts new for this setup. Thanks for posting this write-up!

Ok soooo, for the new parts: everything but the computer/wiring harness, tranny, shifter, shifter boot, clutch pedal assembly...what else can I buy used or reman?

Will the flywheel already be on the transmission I get or will I need to buy a new one?

Will the flywheel already be on the transmission I get or will I need to buy a new one?

You need the one for the clutch. The auto will not work. When you do find a manual, ask that it comes with it, or your going to have to find one. If you go used, check it real good for defects, it may need turned for a fresh surface.

Does anyone know if a mazda navajo tranny will fit my explorer?

Yes. It is the same platform as the "X".

Ok soooo, for the new parts:
clutch master cylinder/slave cylinder
flywheel

What else needs to be bought new?

USED or REMAN:
computer/wiring harness, tranny, shifter, shifter boot, clutch/brake pedal assembly

Finally got all parts rounded up grand total $650. I will post more tonight and tmrw. Time to get dirty

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Forum Runner

Hey tjsxploder this is what I did parts wise. First trip pick n' pull got pedals assembly (just unbolted the whole thing), steering coulum (had it most the way out for pedals) ,clutch switch, and clutch cylinder :: $125 that trip
Second trip Craig's list found a guy parting out a 92 4x (witch if would had title would've bought whole thing) got transmission, fly wheel, backing plate, ECU (computer), another clutch cylinder, wire harness, and shifter :: $150 that time.
Just a note how ever you get your tranny make sure to get all the hard ware with it ie: clutch bolts, flywheel bolts, etc. glad I have a thing for always bag and tag with zip locks cause whent to put the flywheel on last night and the flex plate ones to short LOL.
Last stop and most expensive NAPA. Or your fav parts store just make sure the guy behind the counter understands the project and knows what the hell he is selling you. Clutch kit, starter, re-surfaced used flywheel, exhaust gasket's (all of them unless your hudini and can float tranny over h-pipe), fluids, tail to transfer case gasket, lots of rags, :: $400
Take the price of an oil change off that and a fel pro one peace pan gasket but if your pan is leaking this is the time to fix it. The only other way to get the pan off is to pull motor. I also got new rubber pedal covers like 5 bucks each. Going to post some picks tnte getn started on wrapping her up hope test drive by dark.

5r55e to manual swap(2nd gen)??

Is this swap possible for the '00 ex? I found a '90 donor (unknown manual trans).. I'm good with the bolt work, just not the electrical..? Advice anyone?

kaufman:

Do I really need to replace the steering column? What is the backing plate? I read a post on here somewhere in one of the tranny threads that a flex plate? is not needed as the flywheel covers up the tranny....is this true?
How hard is it to remove the exhaust?

Can you give me a detailed list of parts I'm going to definitely need? I have already gotten a 5 speed starter, and next Friday I'm going to pick up a 5 speed tranny. Just not sure what's coming with it, its got 120K miles on it.

tammy

Hey tjsxploder this is what I did parts wise. First trip pick n' pull got pedals assembly (just unbolted the whole thing), steering coulum (had it most the way out for pedals) ,clutch switch, and clutch cylinder :: $125 that trip
Second trip Craig's list found a guy parting out a 92 4x (witch if would had title would've bought whole thing) got transmission, fly wheel, backing plate, ECU (computer), another clutch cylinder, wire harness, and shifter :: $150 that time.
Just a note how ever you get your tranny make sure to get all the hard ware with it ie: clutch bolts, flywheel bolts, etc. glad I have a thing for always bag and tag with zip locks cause whent to put the flywheel on last night and the flex plate ones to short LOL.
Last stop and most expensive NAPA. Or your fav parts store just make sure the guy behind the counter understands the project and knows what the hell he is selling you. Clutch kit, starter, re-surfaced used flywheel, exhaust gasket's (all of them unless your hudini and can float tranny over h-pipe), fluids, tail to transfer case gasket, lots of rags, :: $400
Take the price of an oil change off that and a fel pro one peace pan gasket but if your pan is leaking this is the time to fix it. The only other way to get the pan off is to pull motor. I also got new rubber pedal covers like 5 bucks each. Going to post some picks tnte getn started on wrapping her up hope test drive by dark.

About the ECU and trans wiring harness:

Does the ECU/Man trans wiring harness HAVE to come from a manual 93/94 explorer or will any 4.0L OHV work? I possibly have a lead on an early 90's Ranger 4.0 ECU/wiring harness.

ALSO, I believe I have a rear main seal leak right now with the auto trans in. Should I just replace that as well while I'm doing the swap? Not for sure if that is what's leaking, but its either that, or the auto tranny is leaking where it connects to the engine.

About the ECU and trans wiring harness:

Does the ECU/Man trans wiring harness HAVE to come from a manual 93/94 explorer or will any 4.0L OHV work? I possibly have a lead on an early 90's Ranger 4.0 ECU/wiring harness.

Yes, a 90-92 computer will only have 1 O2 sensor, no cam sync, etc. You dont want to open that can of worms.

ALSO, I believe I have a rear main seal leak right now with the auto trans in. Should I just replace that as well while I'm doing the swap? Not for sure if that is what's leaking, but its either that, or the auto tranny is leaking where it connects to the engine.

If its leaking, nows the time to replace it. Have one on hand when you pull the trans, if you need it, replace it.

Ok thanks. What about the wiring harness for the tranny? Will any M5OD year fit the 1996 tranny I'm possibly buying?

A4LD to M5OD

I have a 1994 XLT Explorer do you think parts from 1996 Explorer would work in the transmission swap?:):

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ecu?

Regarding the ecu question and answer, i would quote it but I have no idea how to.
I have a 91 explorer auto 2 door, and a 93 5spd 4 door. Planning on rebuilding the 5 speed trans and swapping it into the 91 and parting out the 93. my question is can I use the ecu/wiring harness from the 93 in the 91, or will that "open a can of worms" due to the o2 sensor and yadayada.
And just to verify I cannot use the auto ecu correct? thanks in advance and ya i know this thread isnt neccesarily current but Im hopin for a response

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back