a4ld to Manual M50D Swap How-to | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

a4ld to Manual M50D Swap How-to

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried the cruise feature on the way home yesterday and again this morning and it definitely does not engage. I can live without it since I rarely ever used it. Even with losing the neutral safety switch and the cruise feature, this has been undoubtedly the best thing I could have ever done to my truck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is probably a stupid question, is it the same for a 2wd model? the one im getting is an auto and its starting to slip according to the guy. i wanted a stick anyways so if i can ill probably just stick shift it.

Yeah, it should all be the same with the exception of dealing with the x-fer case. Good luck. It's a great swap to do.

Yeah, it should all be the same with the exception of dealing with the x-fer case. Good luck. It's a great swap to do.

Thanks. it might be a while first thing is first fix/replace engine. then comes transmission. (side note: is there a way to save this tread so i can find it when i do the swap?)

Subscribe to the thread and when you log in, go under user CP, and then choose it from the list of subscribed threads. The original thread is quite old and I only found it by chance. When I started the swap and asked questions, people started responding and it took off again. Good luck and keep us all posted.

Subscribe to the thread and when you log in, go under user CP, and then choose it from the list of subscribed threads. The original thread is quite old and I only found it by chance. When I started the swap and asked questions, people started responding and it took off again. Good luck and keep us all posted.

Thank you. it might be a little bit before i start the swap, going to fix (or possibly replace) engine first, the auto in it works but is starting to slip so i want to be ready when it goes to just put a stick in since im not fond of autos anyway.

Good luck on the entire process. You will be so glad that you swapped from auto to manual. Mine drives like a new truck now. I couldn't be happier.

2wd & 4wd transmissions are different.
The tail housings are equipped respectively.
Drive shafts are different.
Make sure the replacement has the proper speed sensor placement.

Do your research before you purchase a replacement trans for your 2wd rig.

When I said that the steps should be the same, I meant the removal and installation. Of course there are differences between 2wd and 4wd, but the principles are still the same.

does anyone know the specific trans im looking for to replace my auto? did the 1st gen come from the factory with a stick option? could i just buy a stick trans out of a 2wd and put it in mine?

EDIT: i know i can search google, but thought id see if anyone knew off the top of their head so i dont accidentally get the wrong one.

Mine had an A4LD (91) and I swapped in an M5OD from a 93 Ranger. If yours is 2 x 2, then get the stick from a similar year 2 x 2. It is possible to convert the trans from 2 to 4, but it is labor intensive and tricky at best. I did it once and it took me a long time. It is also possible to convert a 4 to 2, but also very labor intensive. Again, good luck.

Also, some of the 2dr sports came in manual and Navajo did as well. Might be able to find one in a bone yard.

Personally if your going to do a 2wd 5 speed swap look for the m5-hd trans.came in the 97+ explorers with the sohc 4.0 and some newer rangers.its a better trans and its hard to find a good low mileage early m5

Very true.

Thanks guys. that will help me out a lot. though it sounds like the engine might need a lot of repairs/replacing. if thats the case probably going to go for a 5.0 5speed swap all at once. still in the air, i need to get the thing here so i can find out exactly what it needs instead of guessing from what this guy is sayin.

I'm preparing to do this swap and I have some electrical questions. If I leave the automatic wire harness in place, all I need to do is bypass the neutral safety switch in order for the truck to start? According to my research that requires splicing the pink and the red/blue stripe wires. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
I have both the stock 1994 auto computer and a computer from a 1992 manual. I planned on trying both just to see if either will work, but if they don't then what computer should I be looking for?

I'm preparing to do this swap and I have some electrical questions. If I leave the automatic wire harness in place, all I need to do is bypass the neutral safety switch in order for the truck to start? According to my research that requires splicing the pink and the red/blue stripe wires. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
I have both the stock 1994 auto computer and a computer from a 1992 manual. I planned on trying both just to see if either will work, but if they don't then what computer should I be looking for?

A 94 4.0 manual ranger computer code should be HAG0...the 5 speed does have a ""neutral safety switch-NSS"" its used to kick off the cruise control if its slips into neutral wile cruise is on..it also has clutch safety switch..but as far as what needs to be done to do the swap I have never researched it..

Have a read here, if you got time going to a sequential fire ecm (YAM1) would be worth it in my opinion ;) ps I have a YAM1 ecm im not going to use, if you choose to go that route. .lol
***(Edit 94 explorer 5 speed should have sequential fire ECM YAM1)*****
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=415316

Not sure about the wiring, but when I did my swap, I ended up just using my existing 94 auto ecm. It hasn't had any problems, it just idles a little high. The transmission harness is pretty simple to change out, if you get your hands on one! Good luck with your swap!

Thanks for the replies. I don't have cruise control anyway so that's not an issue. I just don't want to throw a bunch of codes if the computer or wires aren't compatible with the swap. JD, thanks for the ecm part number, now I know what to look for. And switching to the Yam1 ecm sounds good, but I don't want to overcomplicate this swap or drag it out, if it requires more than just plugging it in. If the yam1 is plug and play then I'll take it since you're nearby and nobody else around here has a 94 manual 4.0 ecm.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the replies. I don't have cruise control anyway so that's not an issue. I just don't want to throw a bunch of codes if the computer or wires aren't compatible with the swap. JD, thanks for the ecm part number, now I know what to look for. And switching to the Yam1 ecm sounds good, but I don't want to overcomplicate this swap or drag it out, if it requires more than just plugging it in. If the yam1 is plug and play then I'll take it since you're nearby and nobody else around here has a 94 manual 4.0 ecm.

Even if you dont have cruise the wires are still there.idk if they are needed if the clutch wire is used..I dont have cruise and i cut/used the NSS switch and bypassed my clutch wire for my remote start...like I said I never looked into but I know the auto has more than the NSS..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back