A4LD torque converter to flywheel - hatch ??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A4LD torque converter to flywheel - hatch ???

cweagle

Reaction score
City, State
Boston, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
I'm beginning to pull the A4LD tranny from my 94 Ex 4WD. My Chilton's claims that there is some kind of hatch to get into the torque converter bell housing to unbolt the TC from the flywheel (flexplate?), but gives no useful pictures of location. I can't find the $%&# thing, and haven't found a pictoral of the pull here. Can anybody point me in the right direction? I can't believe that _this_ is the hard part... :)

I am planning on removing the entire exhaust system (except headers, hopefully!) anyway, BTW.

i haven't found no hatch either i just removed the starter and cranked the engine around to remove the 4 bolts through the starter hole.

Excellent! I didn't know that you could get to them through the starter 'hole'. Thanks.

There still must be a hatch there somewhere, though... but man, I couldn't find it anywhere. Somebody ought to write to these Chilton guys and ask them to put in more pics.

I have the AL4D manuals coming on Monday, maybe they'll help. My goal is to get the trans out tomorrow though.

yea, that a misprint in the chilton's. i fell for the same thing, blew god knows how long looking for a hatch, didnt find a hatch and went through the starter hole

Back