a4ld tranny problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

a4ld tranny problem

rrumba

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XL
I have a tranny that would not engage any gear. took it to the shop and they said the tranny needs to be rebuilt. i got it rebuilt and installed it with the same issues. the modulator is new from the rebuild. when i shift it into any gear, the linkage moves appropriately but nothing else happens. when the tranny came back there was some oil in the rebuilt converter and tranny. i only had to add 1 quart of oil to bring it up to the full level, which seems very odd to me. i have removed the tranny 4 times to check that the converter was seated correctly, check the inner shaft, make sure all was connected and now i am thoroughly LOST. i really do not want to remove the tranny again unless it is an absolute necessity. It has the same symptoms as it did when i sent it out which makes me think it might be a sensor, or some other problem. Anyone who might be able to shine a little light would be greatly appreciated.

rog

Post this question on the tranny section of this forum, you're looking for a reply from Glacier...

Mike

Welcome to this forum! Who rebuilt the transmission? Unfortunately, not all shops are reputable. There should be a warranty. The shifts are hydraulic except for 4th (overdrive), so it's not an electrical issue. Did they rebuild the valve body? It could be clogged. Did you flush out the cooler before installing the rebuilt transmission? Debris trapped inside of it could have clogged up the rebuilt transmission/valve body.

Back