• Register Today It's free!

A4LD Trans fluid change help

Watchman

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer Sport-4WD
I have 93 4WD sport. I decided to change my own fluid. It was last changed at a trans shop over 4 yrs and 35K miles ago. This shop had done my changes over the last 12 yrs including a rebuild in 2006, when it had 180K on it - now it has 325K. Purchased a FK129 filter kit along with 2 gal of Valvoline MaxLife trans fluid from O'Reillys. Kit came with a rubber gasket, filter and O rings . All parts fitted fine upon installation, no leaks around pan. But I am struggling with topping off the fluid. Added about 1 gal of the trans fluid after putting pan back on, then warmed up engine - then went thru the gear shift, park to rev to drive and back, etc. Then checked the stick. Due to the fluid viscosity it was difficult to get an accurate reading. It appeared to be about an inch past the cross hatch while checking in Park, engine running. So, shut the engine off and I used a hand pump and pulled out 1-2 pints thru the dip stick tube. Now, it appears to be too low. Between the two lines. Hard to get an accurate reading - not like your oil dip stick, which is easier.

It seems to be easier to check after warming up and then stopping the engine
and waiting a little while.
Any advice here is appreciated. Thanks.

John

Fixed

See 1A Auto and there is a video on the procedure which is well done

Check the level in the transmission when you start the engine in the morning while its still cold outside. Check the level again after driving it for a while. The mark when it's cold should be the correct level.

Thanks Brooklyn Bay - However, the manual says to check in Park at operating temp and it should be in the cross-hatched area. What I found is that you have to check both sides of the stick. One side could indicate an overfill, where the fluid looks like it is splashed up on the stick - whereas the other side may show the level between the two marks. It takes a little time and patience. And like you said, you need to check it again after driving.

Thanks again the help.

John

Back