• Register Today It's free!

A4LD Trans issue

pmitchell72

Reaction score
City, State
Casselberry, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer XLT
91 Explorer with 155k miles....had a rebuilt trans in 2009. A couple of months ago it started having trouble shifting from 1-2 to where I had to left off gas to get it to shift into 2. I had it in ODrive. Coming home on Sunday, it just wouldn't get out of 1st so I drove home 3 miles coasting and gassing it. Stupid me didn't think about drive or low gears. Reverse works fine too.

From reading some discussions on here, I thought maybe solenoid or vac modulator.

Took it to transmission place that gave me a rebuild. They say that while Ex was up in air, it shifted fine but when its on the ground it doesn't. ATF looks good, no metal in pan. They said it might be the clutch. They recommended another rebuild. But said just keep it in drive.

Drive shifts fine. I always used ODrive.

I'm sure its ok to use drive, I don't do a lot of highway driving.

Also trans shop said when I get it up to 55 to put it in ODrive.

Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds as if the trans shop somewhat knows what there talking about , you can drive it in D until you get above 50-55 and shift into OD and see if that works . your right about the 1-2 up shift , How does the fluid smell , it might have a slight burnt smell to it due to clutches starting to get worn out or burnt .

Sticking Governor is the usual suspect here.

It's got morning sickness and is worse right now because of the cold.

Just do a fluid and filter change.

In the mornings when it's cold, Just manually shift it 1-2-D

Until it warms up a bit.

I've been running this way for 40,000 with no additional probs.

I don't get 3rd gear for the first mile on cold mornings so I take the back street for a bit before hit'n the big road.

Once you get to where it's warm enough to shift on it's own you can use OD Just not when you come to a stop. Then put it back in D

Oh BTW The owners manual says to drive it in D until 45 mph anyway. and NO towing in OD

Changing The Vac Mod would be a good idea as well.

Make Sure you use Mercon V, not an equivalent fluid.

NO Mercon.
NO Merc/DexIII
NO Cheap store brand.

NO Jiffy lube. Do it yourself.

You'll need 12 quarts minimum.

Thanks for all your replies...FR, the trans guy told me that the vac/solenoid/governor all checked out fine....BB, they did tighten the bands...they didn't push another rebuild on me just told me the same things that FR said in his post. I won't worry too much about it until I feel other changes to trans. I have a muffler to fix now. It broke off at the resonator.

Back