• Register Today It's free!

A4LD transmission leaked fluid!

Elias lopez

Reaction score
City, State
Beaverton
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Ford Explorer
My 93 Explorer has always leaked transmission fluid. Not sure what gasket or seal it is but it’s between the engine and transmission. This week I took it to the dunes, it was really fun the explorers drove great! And one part in the sand it was a bit deeper and I tried to get out. My brother told me he saw flames so I shut it off. And all of the transmission fluid dumped where it normally leaks and it was smoking and blistering hot. So we added only a quart of transmission fluid to try because that’s all we had and we let it cool off. We drove it about 100 feet and all of the fluid dumped again and it smoked. so we parked it and repeated until we got it back. The truck never went into a higher gear, it maxed out at 6 rpm in the first gear. I’m assuming because it was so low on transmission fluid but I’m assuming it’s possible I damaged other things with no fluid. If anybody could let me know if I should just get a new transmission at the pick n pull or try and replace the gasket and sensors and fluid. And if so what’s the gasket called. Right now Iran parked at the camping grounds overnight, and we’re picking it up with my dads 92 f-150

Your thread was moved into the transmission section. It could be caused by several things such as a low coolant condition in the radiator, a bad front seal or bushing, or the bell housing drain back weep hole might need to be cleaned or bored out a little larger. There are a lot of threads on this subject since it's a common issue with the older A4LD transmission.

Back