• Register Today It's free!

A4LD Transmission Problem

MaverickOXM

Reaction score
City, State
South-East New Mexico
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Ranger, 02 Mustang
So I hear that a lot of people with the A4LD automatic transmissions have had a lot of problems like mine. My buddy was going to send his 94 Ford ranger XL I4 Auto to the scrap yard. It had a coolant leak and the trany did not have N or R. Both N and R would drive forward. He is not very mechanical minded so I told him I would take it and make it a good running truck for myself! Fixed the Coolant leak, just a hose lol. Now for the tranny, I lifted the truck and pulled the pan. The trany fluid was way low and black as oil. I checked the linkage including the Z-link and everything seemed fine. Bolted it back together and 4 new quarts of tranny fluid went in. It still moves forward in R and N. I took it out to check the D and OD and seemed to work good. He couldn’t get it to 50 MPH in OD, and after filter and fluid change, I was doing 75 comfortably on the highway. When the truck is in park, it acts like it is under a load, Kind of like powerstalling it in D. I don’t have a Tach, but the rpm’s don’t seem to want to get over 2-3K rpm when in D. Now it is possible that I need to replace the trany, but I had heard on another thread that this problem is usually the Z-link or Valve Body. Since the Z-link looks fine, would it be worth replacing just the Valve body? I can get a good throttle body for around 50 bucks, or a replacement tranny for 350 ish? The other thing is could it be the Torque Converter? Thanks for any help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello! Forvard drum clutch is welding in you tranny.
Sorry for my english :)))

Thanks guys, im going to try the valve body, and go from there.

Hello! Forvard drum clutch is welding in you tranny.
Sorry for my english :)))

Does an A4LD automatic have a forward drum clutch? I have not broken down a transmission before.

Back