a4ld transmission

91EX4x4

Reaction score
City, State
Lebanon,Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 EB & '96 xlt
Hi guys,
I was wondering what all they changed in the a4ld transmission in like 95 up? The transmission in my 91 just went out and i have been looking for a transmission. Would a transmission out of a later x work in my 91? Where do you suggest i get a a4ld from? The ford dealer told me that even experianced rebuilders have trouble rebuilding the a4ld... Would this trans work in my 91 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7943341211&fromMakeTrack=true ?
Thanks a lot,
Travis

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In the '95+ A4LD series (they are usually referred to as 4R44E, 4R55E, or 5R55E), the main difference is that the later transmissions are all electronically controlled (the "E" suffix), where the '88 to '94 A4LD is only partially electronically controlled. Mechanically it might bolt into your existing drivetrain, but I'm really not sure on this. But, even if it does, you will have to devise some way of telling the transmission when to shift, because your existing '91 computer isn't equipped to do it. I'm not saying that it can't be done, but it won't be a simple, "plug and play" kind of thing either. FWIW, I haven't really heard of many people who make the effort to put the later A4LD series transmissions into the older vehicles, so it seems most people prefer a different route.

Why would they, "have trouble rebuilding the A4LD"? It's just like any other transmission, in that it has seals, servos, bands, etc. in it. And it is filled with trans fluid. A trans shop can rebuild an A4LD, and it's also a very common Ford transmission based on the old C4. They ought to be able to rebuilt it. Go somewhere else if they say it would be difficult. What is it, can't they find parts for it? A4LD and C4 is common as geese.

And many people choose to go "other routes" as MrShorty said...namely using a Chevy transmission (see other posts on this site about that)...or using a Ford AOD/5r55E (or whatever it's called). If you use the AOD or the newer electronic trans that came with V8 Explorers, you would generally have to also switch the entire drivetrain for a 5.0.

Actually I would agree with the dealer when they say many shops have trouble. The reason for this is that in many transmissions, replacing the wearing parts and putting in new seals and frictions will do it for a rebuild. A meaningful A4LD rebuild will require more hard parts and some attention to various details not required in other rebuilds. Most shops don't go that extra mile, and the trannie ends up coming back in 10,000 miles.

Remember the A4LD is working pretty hard for what was, in essence a FORD C-3 ...a 3 speed once used in the Pinto. The A4LD underwent upgrades and some internal changes after being being mated to the Explorer... a rebuilder would be wise to incorporate those in any rebuild, but not all do. There are a couple threads in the "Useful Threads" forum on the A4LD and rebuilding it. You might find them interesting.

You could buy mine! :)

Skeets'91EB said:
You could buy mine! :)
How much are you asking for it and shipping to 45036? Milage? What year is it out of?
Thank you for all your replies! I think i will just replace it with a first gen a4ld rather than dealing with wiring it up. I should have clarified, but the dealer meant if we were to rebuild it and because all the special tools we would need to rebuild it.
Thanks,
Travis

Quote:
"the dealer meant if we were to rebuild it and because all the special tools we would need to rebuild it."

You can have each and every tool to use. If YOU were thinking of a DIY please go read "My A4LD Diary" especially part 4 where I offer all the tools.

Back