A4LD Vacuum Modulator (1994 Explorer) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A4LD Vacuum Modulator (1994 Explorer)

natenkiki2004

Blue Bomb!
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 & 1994 Explorers
I picked up a 1994 Explorer not long ago for cheap because of a delayed/high RPM 2-3 shift (apparently) so the previous owner tore into it from the access panel and long story short, he handed me a new vacuum modulator and it spilled trans fluid on the wrecker flat bed on the way home.

I'm guessing he removed the old one and never got the new one installed. I haven't been able to see where it goes yet but I'm pretty sure that I'm missing both the pin and bracket that go with the modulator. Also, the modulator he gave me was old enough that the o-ring had dried out. Where can I get these parts and should I just get a new modulator of a good brand? What's the best way to install one of these?

Just to be clear, I don't know if a new modulator will fix the 2-3 shift. I don't even know if the engine runs. This vehicle has a lot of suspension issues and likely won't be a driver for quite a while, if ever. I really only want to fire the engine up to get fluids moving again. My ultimate goal is to get this thing moving under it's own power and assess things from there. It may end up as a farm truck and spare parts truck.

*EDIT*
I found the bolt & bracket. The modulator pin is still missing. Does that come with a new modulator? Sorry for the basic questions but I've not dealt with this issue before, I'm not even fully sure where the modulator sits exactly. Here's some pictures of what I've got;
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/464376/vehicles/1994 Explorer/Pictures/2015-10-10 16.56.28.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/464376/vehicles/1994 Explorer/Pictures/2015-10-10 16.58.13.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/464376/vehicles/1994 Explorer/Pictures/2015-10-10 16.58.35.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can make a pin out of a coat hanger, just snip off a piece about 1.44 inches long.

Really? Wild. I'll try to find my micrometer and do that.

Is there a valve kinda thing in there too? I thought I saw a picture in my searching that showed that the pin pushed against a larger pin that looked like a valve. The upgraded model had a spring or something on the other side. If so, is that likely still in the trans or does it come out easily? Should I get in there with a mirror or magnet to see?

Thanks for the reply, I was hoping you'd see this.

You should use a small wire brush to clean out the debris in the bore. Seafoam is good for cleaning the vacuum line going into the modulator.

Good ideas. While I have the access panel open, I might just replace the vacuum line with some silicone line. I hadn't thought to clean in the bore though.

My ultimate goal, since this trans was heavily neglected, is to get it running and get an external filter on it to start collecting some of the crap, then add some clean fluid and slowly get it cleaned out internally. The trans fluid looks more like oil than it does clean trans fluid :(

Dropping the pan will be WAY in the future for me. I'm fine with throwing on a $14 Magnefine but that's probably all I'll do until the vehicle proves it has merit.

I need to get a mirror to see inside the bore but is it possible for the valve to fall out, the one that the vacuum modulator pushes/pulls on? Should I just be good to go putting a pin in and then the new vacuum modulator?

Yes that is the valve.

Sweet, off to make a pin :D Thanks for the advice BrooklynBay & James.

Back