• Register Today It's free!

A4LD valve body question

robwide

Reaction score
City, State
Crested Butte, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Sport 4X4
Can it be taken out and rebuilt without taking the transmission out?

A couple of years ago the guy I bought it from took the vehicle in and had a rebuilt tranny put in it (it had lost reverse). Got it back, still no reverse. He took it back and supposedly put his original back in, still no reverse.

He parked the vehicle at that point.
The trans does have fresh looking paint on it.
Will rebuilding the valve body fix the problem and then also the original question?

It's an 88 BII XLT 4X4

Thanks
Robert

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The valve body could be removed without removing the entire transmission. Check the low/reverse servo first. Does it have 4WD? If so, then it might be an issue with the shift fork & shift rail inside of the transfer case.

You know that could explain a lot. Yes, it is 4X4. I was wondering how a trans company that does it everyday could put a tranny in twice w/o reverse. The RPMs even drop when you put it in gear like it senses it's actually in gear.
So now knowing all this you think I should check the transfer case 1st?
How hard is it to check that?

Now this might be a separate thread (tell me if so and where to post please) but it also makes violent thump if under power, not so violent if not under power when going down the road. It doesn't do it at any particular time just when driving down the road.
Thanks again
Robert

The transmission section is also intended for posting transfer case issues, so you could make a separate thread in this section. Open the transfer case, and inspect the parts inside. We have a sticky thread on repairing transfer cases.

So you're saying the thump is coming from the transfer case as well?
The transfer case can be opened and inspected while in the vehicle?

And your opinion on the thump?
I might should also add that it is stuck in 4wd hi right now too

Excellent, thanks!!!

If I get a used transfer case does it matter if it's out of a manual tranny vehicle?
I know it needs to be the electric shift but, does it matter if it's manual or auto trans?

Picked up a factory manual for the BII and a BW1350 is what it says it has in it.
So I bought a 63K mile salvage yard BW1350.
Mine has the electric shift so I made sure that's what the salvage yard one was.
It also came out of the very same year BII.
Got it yesterday and will be putting it in this coming Thursday.
Thanks for all the help!

Well, finally got the t-case replaced.

No difference, still have the thump/clank and no reverse.

Any suggestions? It is still stuck in 4WD high as well.

Thanks
Robert

does any one out there know where I can find out where all the part go on the a4ld valve body?

https://www.wittrans.com/Schematic.aspx?Transmission=A4LD/4R44E/4R55E/5R55E&Schematic=8
A4LD%20Valve%20Body%20Parts%202%20Solenoid.jpg

Back