A4LD Valve Body Rebuild Journal - Reassembly (w/pics) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A4LD Valve Body Rebuild Journal - Reassembly (w/pics)

Hi Glacier,

I have a few pressure guages 0-200 with a 1/8" pipe thread and a 0-300 with a 1/4" pipe thread. Would any of these work?

When I last checked fluid (about a hour ago) after the initial 15 minute checkout It was the crosshatch but at the bottom.

The servo bore looked good to me. I put the servo(with O-rings) in the bore without the spring to test it. It gave a resistive pressure as it entered. It stayed in place and I could only remove it with pliers (no room to grip with fingers).

I have a picture of the bore and would attach it here if I could. There is an Icon at the top of this that brings up "insert image" but when I click on it I get a box about a "script prompt" which I have no clue what to do with.

I tried to PM you but your PM box is full.

Thanks,Ben

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ben... room in the box now, sorry. The A4LD is very sensitive to low fluid..... so make sure you have it up to snuff in that area.... if the low/reverse servo bore looked good, it probably was.... only making me all the more curious. Yes your pressure gauges will work.... I'd go there next. (pump coming into my mind here). It pains me you are having troubles when you are doing everything right.... for pics what you need to do (assisting others and encouraging more pics in posts) is to click into the photo gallery... click my gallery, and then click upload pics.... it is best if you size the pics to 640x480. upload the pics.... when you have them in your gallery let me know and I'll share my approach to pasting them into posts....

Ben, a late thought. Did you drill the separator plate? In the low reverse curcuit you can drill up to .086 and improve reverse timing.

Nice photo thread! I wonder why this thread didn't have a link in the A4LD VB rebuild diary? It is a nice counterpart as a quick reference. I think it should be moved to the transmission section.

I have an a4ld vb where the beginning of the 1-2 acumulator is sticking I hear there is a bore package for it is there any truth to this and can someone provide any links to quick fixes for transmissions id appreciate it thanks :)

identifying position of spgs. in bore 216 of a4ld vb

I followed your reassembly journal and I have successfully reassembled my 1992 exp a4ld valve body accept for bore #216 intermediate servo release accumulator valves, there are two springs shown in your picture of this bore, one spg is just a tad shorter and a little stiffer than the other spg ,which is a tad longer and softer. I would greatly appreciate your input to place springs in there proper positions.

(dead link)
I'm not sure if this diagram is a response to my question, (this thread, #26) but I already have this diagram of the valve body assembly and unfortunately, it doesn't tell me how to identify which of the two springs goes where. One of the springs is a little stiffer than the other. So, in Bore 216, does the stiffer spring go in the O/D servo release accumulator, or does it go into the intermediate servo release accumulator position? We have been trying to interpret the spring id numbers listed in the diagram to see if they help us distinguish which spring goes where, but so far, haven't been able to. the springs are very similar, except in the gauge of wire and resistance and very slight length.

Any suggestions is greatly appreciated as this is the last part of the valve body to complete assembly and get my explorer back on the road and to work. (if possible, can you address your response in my name as I am new at this web stuff and really have a hard time sorting out what messages are meant for me).

Hi Mike. Thanks for your advices. I think that I will have a good decisions in modifying mine. :D

a4ld reverse servo springs

I know this is an old thread, but it still has a lot of good information on the
a4ld reverse problems.
I have installed the Transgo kit and still have the delayed reverse shift. I am getting ready to drop the pan and change the fluid and filter again and new reverse servo D-rings.
I'm still unsure about the large return spring in the reverse servo, whether to leave it in (as my Transgo instructions say), or to leave it out, as some of our posters have recommended.
I would very much appreciate some advice on this.
Thanks.

BTW: My Transgo instruction sheet seems to be several years old and might be obsolete.

1991 RangerXLT

Thanks, BB.
I hate it when I get opposite recommendations from two different respected sources! It's back on me now.
I have always followed BB's recommendations in the past, and will ultimately follow his this time too. Just want to consider all the options.
BTW, what effect would it have to leave the reverse return spring out? I did replace the original reverse servo cushion spring with the blue one from Transgo.
I hope the new fluid, filter, and D-ring replacements will help.
Thanks again.
Tom.

Removing the spring will make it feel like a weak disengagement. You don't want the band to drag. It will create friction with heat. Engagement might feel more abrupt since the spring also acts like a cushion. The later model 4R & 5R valve bodies use shift solenoids for the other gears with a computer regulated EPC to vary the amount of apply pressure. The A4LD relies on hydraulic pressure to shift. The overdrive solenoid allows the computer to shift into overdrive, but still uses internal hydraulic passage ways to channel the fluid into the correct section of the valve body. The internal channels in the 4R & 5R valve bodies are different than the A4LD so a spring in this section isn't necessary in those transmissions but is necessary in the A4LD. Check these diagrams for a side by side comparison:
(dead link)
This is a single solenoid valve body for the A4LD:
(dead link)

This is a dual solenoid valve body for the A4LD:
(dead link)

This is a 4R & 5R valve body
(dead link)

Ah-Hah.

I can go with that.

Back