A4LD vs. 4R70W - unfair comparison | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A4LD vs. 4R70W - unfair comparison

Glacier991

EF Tranny Guru
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, CA 95827
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT
Ok... just having a little fun. This IS an unfair comparison for a number of reasons, but the general gist of it is instructive. Joe has an Explorer 4.0. Jim has an Explorer 5.0. Both want to tow a 3000 lb boat. Who might, who shouldn't ?

Both transmissions have planetaries. Wanna see the difference between 'em ?

15286DSCN6124.jpg

Please understand this isn't really super fair comaprison for reasons I won't go into, but nevertheless instructive.

And for you 4R70W fans.... I took about 50 pix today, we are gonna get into the guts tonight and tomorrow. More or less a voyeurs at this point. But, stay tuned.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

wow!

Glacier991 said:
Ok... just having a little fun. This IS an unfair comparison for a number of reasons, but the general gist of it is instructive. Joe has an Explorer 4.0. Jim has an Explorer 5.0. Both want to tow a 3000 lb boat. Who might, who shouldn't ?

Both transmissions have planetaries. Wanna see the difference between 'em ?

15286DSCN6124.jpg

Please understand this isn;t really super fair, but nevertheless instructive.

And for you 4R70W fans.... I took about 50 pix today, we are gonna get into the guts tonight and tomorrow. More or less a voyeurs at this point. But, stay tuned.
Very interesting
am working on a project Glacier,can you build a 5R55E, or modify one that will stand up to 300 RWHP, am told that lentech is coming out with some parts that may help this tranny, any feedback would be wellcome

I can only say that I believe I can build as 5R55E as strong as it can be built. Can it stand up to 300 RWSHP forever ? I dunno. I am very comfortable with the A4-4R-5R series..... that transmission I can see in my sleep....the 4R70W is new ground for me and I feel like a newbie on a steep learning curve.. I don't know more than I know. I immerse myself and am in that phase on the 4R70W, learning....I know Sonnax just came out with new stuff for the 5R valve body and i am buying it....tooling and parts (expensive but necessary if you plan to do this, and I am like the consumer reports on this shjt.) Hoping the side sale of some rebuilt VB's might offset my outgo.

I never realized the A4LD was so much bigger/stronger than those weak 5.0 transmissions! :p Seriously though, that is an unbelievable difference! :eek:

Oh and, as for the 5R... if you want me to do it ( might be fun), please let me know quickly, I have a line on one that is primo. Factory ready for mods.

bmx.... it didn't hit me to DO that comparison until my 98 lb weakling arms were hefting the 4R70W planetaries about....I said THIS people HAVE to see.

I like the A4-4R-5R series.... the N version is a nice transmission. It was never meant to be a rock crawler or a towing trannie... Much maligned, but for what it is, not a bad trannie in my humble opinion. I guess this post was a reminder to everyone of what is IS !

Glacier991 said:
Oh and, as for the 5R... if you want me to do it ( might be fun), please let me know quickly, I have a line on one that is primo. Factory ready for mods.
Have one installed in my 03 trac 28 K miles, still waiting for EE to get carb cert on the SC, perhaps next month.
What would you do to this tranny?
how long would it take?

Someone enlighten me. Is the 4R70W the transmission behind Ford's 4.6 L engine?

Spindelcone - I'd probably add a friction plate to the direct clutch and mod the VB (to the one I have a line on. it is nearly new.) PM me for a price. I need to act fast.

Rhett - Yes the 4R70W was put behind 4.6's.

To fully understand the importance of the planetaries..you need do educate yourself.... and in that vein .. I offer you this:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/automatic-transmission2.htm

I know those who want to know and learn will read it. I wish more would. AT's are NOT rocket science. The industry has us all cowed.

Read, learn, explore.... they are not any different than any other mechanical device.... one merely has to understand the theory of operation.

Wow, that difference is nuts. I can't believe you only weight 98 lbs either. How tall are you?

Glacier991 said:
To fully understand the importance of the planetaries..you need do educate yourself.... and in that vein .. I offer you this:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/automatic-transmission2.htm

I know those who want to know and learn will read it. I wish more would. AT's are NOT rocket science. The industry has us all cowed.

Read, learn, explore.... they are not any different than any other mechanical device.... one merely has to understand the theory of operation.

Glacier is correct. I have helped rebuild tons of automatics over the years. Its not rocket science. :rolleyes: With the right books and tools its fairly easy. Besides we all have glacier to help us. ;)

I am not that familiar with the newer ones though. The last transmissions I was in was the C5, A4LD, and AOD-E.

Beau..... I was teasing, I am 5-10 and weigh 160.

(it's his arms alone that weight 98 pounds...)

:)

Rhett said:
Someone enlighten me. Is the 4R70W the transmission behind Ford's 4.6 L engine?

No, 5.0Ls. The 4.6 got a version of the 5R.

IAmTodd said:
No, 5.0Ls. The 4.6 got a version of the 5R.
There were alot of 4.6's with 4R70W's, just not the Explorer 4.6. Ford used it behind the truck 4.6's and mustang 4.6's up until 2003 (i think, cant remember exact year)

james t said:
There were alot of 4.6's with 4R70W's, just not the Explorer 4.6. Ford used it behind the truck 4.6's and mustang 4.6's up until 2003 (i think, cant remember exact year)

You are right James. I've seen a few 04 Cobras with 4R70s and a high stall behind it.

james t said:

I was speaking about Explorers. But yea, you are right.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what a shame the Ex 4.6 wasn't worthy of this great transmission. I empathize with (and actually like) the A4/4R/5R but I admire what a transmission the 4R70W is! It's capable. Big time.

Back