About to go lower my truck , need some advice | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

About to go lower my truck , need some advice

Afboy143

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Tampa,FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer Sport
Okthis weekend me and my friend are going to finally lower my truck. We got the 2 inch blocks for the back and are going to take the torsion bolts out in the front for a 3 inch drop. Should I plan on getting new shocks or what I have should be good for now? Also what are the odds that i wont need a alignment in the front cuz rite now i cant afford it

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

cuz rite now i cant afford it

Than dont do this til lyou can afford it, not trying to be mean, i have the stuff to raise my truck 2 more inches, but cant afford the alignment so im not doing it right now. You will almost definately need an alignment. And i would plan on getting some new shocks....

If you can't afford the alignment and camber adjusters, then you surly can't afford the new tires you soon will need.

Wait till you can do it properly.

If you're taking the torsion bolts out completely, plan on getting an alignment. You tires, or whats left of them, will hate you, if you don't get an alignment. Just wait till you get the money for an alignment and shocks to do it all together.

You will 100% need to get an alignment and if you dont you will most likely ruin your tires within 2 or 3 weeks.

ah thanks i guess i am saving then!

Also what should I do about my shocks? How long b4 those might go out?

How many miles are on them?

86 k

Originally posted by Afboy143
86 k
I lowered mine at around 45k and the original shocks needed replacement within a week. If money is tight right now and you do not want to wait give Gabriel VST a try. At around $100 for all four, they are the cheapest good shocks that I know of (or heard of).

Back