about to replace water pump and timing chain set 2013 PIU | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

about to replace water pump and timing chain set 2013 PIU

Chris2013explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Severn, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 explorer PIU 3.7
Looking for any tips or tricks to make the job go smoothly. I purchased the factory cd service manual and watched a couple of you tube videos but would like anyone on this forums advice/guidance. I plan to replace the water pump and timing chain components now instead of waiting for either to fail. It is a 2013 PIU 3.7, with 166K. Not sure if this was ever done so want to be safe. Thanks to any and all for any pointers or recommendations.

Hey Chris. There are a few threads on this but they are all on the 3.5L engine. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how the 2 engines compare in this regard. Check out this one in particular; List of Useful Threads - 3.5L Water pump replacement - Gotchya's
It may give some idea of what might be involved. I believe the 3.7 is also a transversly-mounted unit.

Peter

Looking for any tips or tricks to make the job go smoothly. I purchased the factory cd service manual and watched a couple of you tube videos but would like anyone on this forums advice/guidance. I plan to replace the water pump and timing chain components now instead of waiting for either to fail. It is a 2013 PIU 3.7, with 166K. Not sure if this was ever done so want to be safe. Thanks to any and all for any pointers or recommendations.

How did it go? My water pump went out recently at around 115k iirc. Had the dealer do it as no local shop wanted to touch it. I did have them do a timing chain service while they were in there. It cost a small fortune ☹️

I have started my timing chain/water pump replacement. It’s much fun!!!

Back