ABS/AdvanceTrac lights both came on??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ABS/AdvanceTrac lights both came on???

Drew_32218

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer XLT
Hello Everyone, I am a new Explorer owner, and Love this vehicle. I bought it used, in very good condition, so I thought. I have had it for about 2 months now and yesterday afternoon while driving on the interstate at approx 80, the ABS light came on and the advanceTrac automatically went on, off, on then ultimately OFF and the message center said check AdvanceTrac. Any ideas why this would happen? Well the next morning, i start the truck up, no lights, i drive about 1/10 of a mile and hit the brakes to slow down and it feel as if the ABS is kicking in, hence the brake peddle sputters. Then all them lights mentioned above start flashing and untimely stay on.. Everything seems to be working normally, its just these lights are coming on and I haven't a clue. Loose connection possibly? Bad sensor? Any ideas are more then welcome. Thanks for your time and It is great to be a part of this Forum. Thanks Andrew S.

I had the same issue. Turned out it was one of the rear abs sensors. Had to take it to ford to figure it out. No scanner even with abs would pick up the code.

AdvanceTrac light can come on for a couple other reasons, for example snow, rain, or ice causes the vehicle to need extra traction that the vehicle can't provide. Also, if one or more of the tires doesn't ride even with the ground due to road construction or if the vehicle has significantly different tread patterns, the light can come on. I have a FWD Ford Edge, and the two rear OEM tires were replaced last December at 50,000 miles, and I rotated the two original front tires to the back. Just a couple weeks ago at 62,000 miles, the two back tires (which now had less than 3/32nds tread remaining) caused the advanceTrac light to come on. In comparison, the front tires, which now had about 12,000 miles on them, still had 7-8/32nds left. Once the two new tires were swapped with the originals, the advanceTrac light went out.

Rear tone rings crack on the rear axleshafts. I would at that first but a code would help with diagnosis.

Back