• Register Today It's free!

ABS Codes 1993 Ford Explorer

Donald Lahr

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XL & 95 Sport
I need some help! I have a 1993 Ford Explorer XL and a ABS MIL problem. The vehicle has a red “Anti-Lock Test” connector located on left wheel-well behind or back-of the windshield wash/ over-flow reservoir and using a “INNOVA-3145” OBD1 code reader to read the code.

The code reader results are as follows: 10 – 11 – 31 – 35 – 67 I need your help with the code meanings and solution if possible. Your help would be very much appreciated by me and my family..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here they are, I'm not sure what to say about code 10, it is not in the ford service books.

1994 Ford Body/Chassis Manual, page 06-09B-17
4-Wheel Anti-Lock Brake Codes

11 - ECU Failure
16 - System OK
17 - Reference Voltage
22 - Front Left Inlet Valve
23 - Front Left Outlet Valve
24 - Front Right Inlet Valve
25 - Front Right Outlet Valve
26 - Rear Axle Inlet Valve
27 - Rear Axle Outlet Valve
31 - Front Left Sensor Electrical Failure
32 - Front Right Sensor Electrical Failure
33 - Rear Axle Electrical Failure
35 - Front Left Sensor Erratic Output
36 - Front Right Sensor Erratic Output
37 - Rear Axle Erratic Output
41 - Front Left Sensor Mismatched Output
42 - Front Right Sensor Mismatched Output
43 - Rear Axle Mismatched Output
55 - Front Left Sensor Output Dropout
56 - Front Right Sensor Output Dropout
57 - Rear Axle Output Dropout
63 - Pump Motor
65 - G Switch
67 - Pump Motor
75 - Front Left Sensor Erratic Output
76 - Front Right Sensor Erratic Output
77 - Rear Axle Erratic Output
(no code = ECU not initializing)

Thank you so very much for your reply and the information. I now have a starting point to work with. Your kindness and information is very much appreciated. I will let you know how this turned out for me.

You are welcome, I guess if you wanted to run the ABS, I'd suggest replacing the control unit, and pulling new codes. I personally am not sure the ABS is worth the trouble, but some people like it. Whatever the case, I do suggest picking up the factory copy of the Body/Chassis Service Manual for your car. It will take you from the codes through the troubleshooting process. They are on ebay for less than $30 and if it keeps you from replacing one good part, it will pay for itself.

So here’s what is going on with the 93 Explorer. After getting the code information (life-saver) I at least had a better understanding what I needed to look at. I started looking around for price & availability on the parts. The ABS Hydraulic Unit is in the $630.00 range and the ECU was $150.00 – $200.00 range and the ABS Sensor was in the $70.00 range. So I thought at this point I need to see what the local market “out-the-door-price” would be. On Saturday I went to the “Just Brakes” store with this in mind; I have code information and parts cost and I know the general condition of the vehicle. The cost of the overall inspection was free – that part was really cool on their part. The mechanic was a really nice and down to earth guy, and he showed me what he found. His customer service skill’s are the kind that can put you to ease and instill trust that what he found would be trustworthy. Well, my hope was he was going to confirm what I had found but, here’s what he found (1) He could not scan the ABS codes, (2) he did confirm the overall condition was good. He also pointed out that the brake fluid was seriously contaminated and sure enough when he opened the right-rear bleeder valve the fluid almost looked like tranny-fluid not quite – but almost. So needless to say I had him flush & bleed the system ($72.42). On the way home, with hopeful and wishful thoughts going on in my head, I decided to first thing pull the codes and see if anything changed. Sure enough, I pulled the codes and here’s what I got: 10 – 31. I’m still not sure what “10” means but I sure do know what the other missing codes mean –
The one most over-looked service
that means so much is having your brake fluid serviced/flushed at least once a year. Now I don’t know for sure – but I do have a gut feeling on this, the code 11 & 67 may have been enough to help me with the decision to fix-or not fix the ABS system. I did order the two front ABS sensors and will replace then when they come in. I will pull the code one more time after the sensors are replaced. I just want to say, “the help I received here was in a word – priceless!” Thank you very much – Don L

I don't think I have changed the brake fluid in any car in 35 years. Sounds like a good reason for some more tools. My chassis is so rusty, I probably should just buy new brakes from the lines out.

Wait till you have something like the 77 c-10 I had. One of my first cars, the first one that was (sort of) legal to drive on public roads, (oh yeah, it got 6 mpg going downhill with the engine off being pushed), the people who owned it before never did a single repair on it the whole time they owned it..... or at least that's what it seemed like. I think that thing would have been lucky if the oil had been changed once since it left the factory before I got it, and it sat for a year before I got it. Anyways, poor teenager, my dad telling me all the things I need to fix on it, me saying, "Yeah, sure, I'm gonna get it all done."

One day, driving around in Omaha, coming down a hill towards a stop sign, driving like any teenager does (too fast, and waiting until the last second to slam on the brakes when I get to the stop sign so that I can hit the gas just as hard after that when I leave it). Press on the brakes, it starts slowing down momentarily when suddenly....... I go right through the intersection into the side of an E-150 conversion van that an older couple was driving. Brake line had burst a few inches from the master cylinder. My first car accident and an important lesson. Always take care of all regular maintenance. The long term costs are SOOO much lower. You don't want to even imagine how much damage that Chevy did to the side of that Ford. Not fun totaling a brand new van. Even worse losing my truck..... I loved that bald tire having, gas guzzling, fire-breathing home to the noisiest 454 that ever left an oil slick down the freeway. I was this close to having enough money to replace the floor pan so I wouldn't have to worry about where I was putting my foot (oh yeah, that was a big hole in the floor).

Ahhh memories.... I want another old chevy pickup.... On the bright side, I could fill both of it's 20 gallon tanks for about half the cost of filling my Explorer's tank today. These days, every time I turn the key it costs ten bucks.

Back