ABS Codes | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

ABS Codes

johnwartjr

Reaction score
City, State
Columbus, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Limited
I had both front hubs replaced about a week ago, as the left side wheel bearings were getting uber noisy and it just made sense to replace them both.

Before the hub replacement, I had the following code:

B1194 ABS $28 Antilock Brake System Outlet Valve Coil Left Front Circuit Malfunction

I cleared it at Advance, and it went away for awhile. 2-3 days, and it came back.

After replacing both hubs, I now get the same code, plus the one referencing the right side.

B1194 ABS $28 Antilock Brake System Outlet Valve Coil Left Front Circuit Malfunction

B1210 ABS $28 Antilock Brake System Outlet Valve Coil Right Front Circuit Malfunction

I clear them, the code reader says they are cleared, and they return immediately upon turning the key to accessory - I don't even have to crank the engine!

I checked both ABS relays in the box behind the battery upon the advice of the guy at the parts store - and they are both fine.

Where should I look next? It's the last trouble code on the wife's explorer, and I'd love to be codeless :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Lefty2053

Reaction score
City, State
Lazear Co
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer 5.0
I think there is a sensor on each wheel and another one somewhere else if I remember correct. Don't count on me remembering things though. I even forgot where I put my Memory pills.

waskly

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Crooklyn NY!
those are hcu/ecu codes not sensor codes.

johnwartjr

Reaction score
City, State
Columbus, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Limited
Oh, OK, so the HCU is potentially bad then.. that's the thing in the engine compartment between the master cylinder and the battery.. I think I follow now

waskly

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Crooklyn NY!
the hcu solenoids inside it are bad, or the ecu can't control them. its the assembly that the two brake lines run into and 4 come out.

i cant think of the location on a 96 most are under the drivers side of the truck me thinks, earlier models i think had it under the hood.

well since i cant remember it, i found a thread that shows what it looks like.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=293508