ABS Issues

Hoppy

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLS 4x4 SOHC
Hi all,

2000 4x4 Explorer, the ABS light is on, I tested all of the sensors on it, front sensors had an ohm reading of about 0.37 K ohms and the rear dialed in a 1.7 K ohms. I also switche to AC volts, spun the wheels and they all generated voltage up to 0.5 millivolts, depending on how fast I was able to turn them.

All of the fuses are ok, but cannot find any relays for the system. Where would they be located? I want to check them too, but cannot find them.

Is there anything I am missing?

Hoppy

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I forgot to mention that I pulled the front sensors out of the bearing, chiseled the rust off and polished/greased the mounting surfaces.

I also pulled the rear sensor out and cleaned it all up, checked the resistance and while holding it in my hand, the resistance went up as i warmed it in my hand.

I also tried a rear sensor from an older explorer I had in the truck that tested well.

I am wondering if I should pull the battery overnight?

THis all started with the ABS activating at low speeds, just before a stop it would kick in. I disabled the system by pulling the pump motor lead off and taking the light bulb out of the instrument panel so it would not annoy me. I have since tried the cleaning of the bearing mounting area of the sensor and put the light back in.

I forgot to mention that I pulled the front sensors out of the bearing, chiseled the rust off and polished/greased the mounting surfaces.

I also pulled the rear sensor out and cleaned it all up, checked the resistance and while holding it in my hand, the resistance went up as i warmed it in my hand.

I also tried a rear sensor from an older explorer I had in the truck that tested well.

I am wondering if I should pull the battery overnight?

THis all started with the ABS activating at low speeds, just before a stop it would kick in. I disabled the system by pulling the pump motor lead off and taking the light bulb out of the instrument panel so it would not annoy me. I have since tried the cleaning of the bearing mounting area of the sensor and put the light back in.

Wiggle the sensor wires while you check the resistance. I had one once that would only show issue when manipulated.

Does anyone have a pin identifcation for the connector at the ABS pump unit? I want to check for continuity at all of the pins.

I saw one here before but have not had any luck finding it.

Thanks

Does anyone have a wiring diagram or at least that connector diagram I asked for above?

Any help is well appreciated.

Thanks.

Is this what you need?

Yes, thank you very much.

Would anyone have a wiring diagram for the ABS system? I would still like to find the relays if there are any.

I have the same problem, does the ABS still work with the light on?

I have the same problem, does the ABS still work with the light on?

Light on = ABS disabled until it is corrected.

Hoppy...PM me if you want more diagrams. There are only so many I can post on the board. If you can pull ABS codes it would be very very helpful though. Does the ABS light go on right away? If it happened after you cleaned those front sensors and put any extra pressure on the wires I bet one is intermittently bad.

That is the problem, I don't have a code reader to pull the ABS codes from the system. I wish I could, but don't even know anyone that would have such a scanner, except for going to the dealer, or a shop with the proper equipment.

The ABS light comes on right away, it only turns off when the switch is in the off position.

It is a possibility that a sensor got damaged, but I was very very careful in the removal and installation of them. I am pretty sure i didn't cause any damage to them. After I replaced them, I tested them and did get good test results from all three sensors, but that is if they are in the right range of readings, which I posted above.

I found the problem. The gasket that sealed the connector on the ABS module had slipped off the connector and was stuck in the module's plug. I thought it was dielectric grease. Actually I thought it was tonnes of dielectric grease, as it had a similar colour.

Anyway, I took it out to find it was not, plugged the connector back in and got my ABS back.

Now I have to see if it will operate normally after cleaning the front sensor mounts. So far so good and the ABS works again.

Thank you so much for your help.

Back