ABS kicks on when it shouldn’t, possible AWD issues too | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

ABS kicks on when it shouldn’t, possible AWD issues too

RichCresci

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 XLS, 06 Mounty
2006 Mountaineer 4.0 awd

So I left the car wash the other day after getting the under body wash and when I hit the brakes the abs kicked on for a little. I didn’t think much and kept on driving.

2 days and 100 miles of normal driving later, every time I hit the brakes slightly more than usual, the abs kicks in. When I turn right it feels like the truck is in 4wd. I’m assuming I lost a wheel sensor but it seems really coincidental that I just went to the car wash. I visually checked all the sensors, they’re still there. Any ideas? Also, is there a way to trouble shoot a wheel sensor without an abs computer?

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

J_C

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Florence, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT 4WD 4.0L SOHC
Given the circumstances I would inspect the ABS sensor cables, unplug them at the connectors and examine the contacts... maybe water + xyz made it into the connectors or is causing a short against the frame or knuckle.

You can read the speed sensors with Forscan app, through an ELM327 dongle and a connected phone, tablet, or laptop. You can also log the data while driving and save to a file for more convenience and safety than trying to watch the device while driving.

Recording wheel sensors - FORScan forum

RichCresci

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 XLS, 06 Mounty
I visually inspected all the wheel sensor connections. No issues there. I ordered the dongle. Stay tuned for updates.

RichCresci

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 XLS, 06 Mounty
Fiddled with the dongle yesterday and the ForScan app. I pulled the codes and got

C1155-E0 Left Front wheel speed sensor missing
C1234-20 Right Front Wheel speed sensor missing
C1145-20 Right Front wheel speed sensor circuit failure

When the issue first appeared I disconnected both front wheel sensors to inspect the connections, so I believe that's why I have both front sensors missing. However, the C1145-20 is interesting. When all my sensors are plugged in I still don't get any warning lights. I'm going to do some more serious investigating today, but I'm starting to think this could be a wiring issue to the the right front wheel, or a bad hub.

Can I clear the codes through forscan? I could seem to figure out how to do that. I'd like to reset the codes and see what new codes pop up.

RichCresci

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 XLS, 06 Mounty
Problem solved! It was a bad front passenger wheel bearing. I’m really surprised as it didn’t make any noise or issues in the steering.

J_C

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Florence, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT 4WD 4.0L SOHC
Good to know it's fixed. The theory I have is that as the bearing starts to wear out, it spits out greasy metal particles that foul the sensor ring or get slung onto the sensor itself.

RichCresci

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 XLS, 06 Mounty
The wheel had significant play in it which was extremely obvious when I jacked the truck up. However no stereotypical wheel bearing symptoms from the cab.

Interestingly enough, I had that tire off about 1,000 miles and 4 weeks ago and specifically checked for wheel bearing play and found nothing. So it failed very quickly with minimal evidence.