ABS Light and 4WD

45Frank

Reaction score
City, State
Blue Ridge Mnts of WNC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer XLS
OK have a few questions here.
First since we've had snow here I've been using the 4WD regularly, well today there was a lot of wheel spinning due to ice and the ABS light came on. Shut things down and restarted and all was good until I put it back in 4WD. Why is the ABS light coming on when in 4WD? Things are messy here and wet also.

Second. It's always made a binding noise when turning in 4WD and of course since using the 4WD more it's more noticeable. Sounds like rubber grinding/binding nothing metallic and only when in 4WD. What would cause this?
Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine did that the other night after spinning the wheels a lot trying to get out of a sloped space in 4WD (damn ice). Shut the trucklet off, started her back up---no problems since.

I noticed mine was acting like it was engaged when making a turn on dry pavement even though I made sure to come to a complete stop, put it in neutral, switch to 2wd, then reverse and back up a few feet. I know the reverse part isn't necessary for 4WD Low (old school trick taught to me by my parents) to make sure its out of 4WD but it shouldn't act as though its engaged after switching from 4WD Auto/High to 2WD.

Check T/C fluid

Some of these issues can be remedied by changing the fluid in the transfer case. I have seen strange behavior from the transfer case and draining it showed lubricant that looked like a 80K mile engine oil change. Once the new lubricant was installed the noise and weird behavior was gone.
Mike

Some of these issues can be remedied by changing the fluid in the transfer case. I have seen strange behavior from the transfer case and draining it showed lubricant that looked like a 80K mile engine oil change. Once the new lubricant was installed the noise and weird behavior was gone.
Mike

The problem with my transfer case is that it's leaking. After 200k+ miles on it I'm surprised it's still working *knock on wood* haha

I've changed the fluid once and it was completely black (I'm the 4th owner) don't think its ever been changed before me. I was contemplating putting some Lucas Oil stop leak transmission fluid in it and see if that will slow down some of the leaks. I'd love to get it rebuilt or a new/used one but I don't have the funds to do so since I'm finishing up school.

Mike

Changed mine two days before my ABS light incident. Fluid was 80k old and looked beautiful. Put Mercon V in and the transfer case emits noticeably less gear whine.

Back