ABS Light and new brakes | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ABS Light and new brakes

What are movable pedals??? I don't know what that is!!lol...
My problem is that I live in the Dominican Republic, so parts will not be as cheap as in the US...Had to pay this time the$150 because I would've been charged $50 just for the ABS codes readout...so I said ok...but, now that it is still on I am thinking of getting the master cylinder switch and the speed sensor that is by the differential and if that does not work, I really will be out of ideas...:(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Some Ex's you can adjust the pedals with a switch on the dash. . . .must not have them. In that case do you have Ride Stablity Control or RSC? If you do that means you should have two sensors in the rears, easy to see too, next to the CV joint you should see a tone ring and sensor. If you don't have RSC then there is only one rear wheel sensor on top of the Diff.

Mine does not have adjustable pedals or RSC...so what Ima do is get a master cylinder switch, plug the new one...then we'll talk...wait, where is that located and how can I get the part out?

What part# is the master cylinder switch? Can't seem to find it on directfordparts.com...

Can this be done by a mechanical noob like me?:D

C1235,c1236,c2770

Hi, got the codes pulled again...the first two have been the same codes pulled the first time I went to the shop...now there is a new one..:rolleyes:
Oh my...help me out someone?

C1235,c1236,c2770

Hi, got the codes pulled again...the first two have been the same codes pulled the first time I went to the shop...now there is a new one..:rolleyes:

C1235,c1236,c2770

I'll check against the book which i don't have with me.
Those codes should be in there. You don't have a C1440 codes which is the master cyl. switch. If you have it, it would be next to the Brake Fluid reservoir. Its used to disengage the cruise, which might also be a contact switch on the brake pedal.
In '04 its called (maybe) Decel switch, explorer, mountaineer .

C1235, Wheel Speed RR Input Signal Missing, Test F
c1236, Wheel Speed LR Input Signal Missing, Test F,
c2770, Longitudinal Acceleration Sensor Signal Fault, Test H, under the 2nd row seat
first guess harness issues??? 30 pages of diagnostics

C1235, Wheel Speed RR Input Signal Missing, Test F
c1236, Wheel Speed LR Input Signal Missing, Test F,
c2770, Longitudinal Acceleration Sensor Signal Fault, Test H, under the 2nd row seat
first guess harness issues??? 30 pages of diagnostics

Dude...I just got back from the shop...:mad:
Oh my...they printed out a diagnostic manual for the Explorer and tried a lot of trial and error verifications that each step with no positive conclusion brings you to another...the last was, to change the brake oil which lead to ABS module gone bad? Says to put in a new ABS module??? for cryin' out loud?
:rolleyes:

Someone please help me...don't know what the heck to do?!
Only good thing now is that with new brake oil the brake pedal feels tougher and better...makes me feel more safe...

I took the truck out of the shop to ask you guys what to do? they say the guarantee that the problem is the abs module because they did everything that Ford is asking for...:rolleyes:

I've seen a couple used on e-bay for $150 +$40 shipping with no core charge and they say it's got lifetime warranty...new ones on directfordparts.com cost almost $200 with core charge of $100...I have to buy it on the internet because I am living in the Dominican Republic and I bet you that in the local Ford stealership it can run up to $1,000 easily...:(

bummer dude,:( yea most of those diags end with the abs module.

When i was talking with my repair guy before we ran codes he pointed out that he has replaced a 'few' abs modules, something about some valve inside causing problems. . . .if they 'really' did test those connections out then yea it stinks. I checked ford direct and they want $800 for it.
I checked fleabay too, i would be very tempted and probably do it as its cheaper than the books and diagnostic software. . . .

On a side note it might be worth to try and find a Ford Factory Service Manual on CD if you can do any testing yourself. I'd also get the Wiring book too, it has detail on the pinouts, connectors. To be honest i found them to be essential (i own the paper version), but it will only get you half way as you still need to be able to 'talk' to the truck and read the fault codes. Now you can now buy software to run on a laptop . . . :scratch:

bummer dude,:( yea most of those diags end with the abs module.

When i was talking with my repair guy before we ran codes he pointed out that he has replaced a 'few' abs modules, something about some valve inside causing problems. . . .if they 'really' did test those connections out then yea it stinks. I checked ford direct and they want $800 for it.
I checked fleabay too, i would be very tempted and probably do it as its cheaper than the books and diagnostic software. . . .

On a side note it might be worth to try and find a Ford Factory Service Manual on CD if you can do any testing yourself. I'd also get the Wiring book too, it has detail on the pinouts, connectors. To be honest i found them to be essential (i own the paper version), but it will only get you half way as you still need to be able to 'talk' to the truck and read the fault codes. Now you can now buy software to run on a laptop . . . :scratch:

I've read tons of stuff since last night on the net...techs say that best thing to do is change the rear sensor to erase c1235 and c1236 codes...my problem is c2770...I'll just go ahead and buy the sensor, if the damn abs light is still on...Fleabay is the way to go...I'll let you know dude...thanks for giving me a hand...

Anyone has any other ideas?

YES looks like the one i just put in my '04. . . .
The FIRST pic looks like, holding in my hand, ill post a pic.

The Amazon looks correct.
PN on box 5L2Z-9E731-B still good.
Bottom Pic its in the bottom right corner, with the pressure switch, and a front.

Attachments

• P1250020.JPG
    P1250020.JPG
    139.5 KB · Views: 764
  • P1250023.JPG
    P1250023.JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 744
  • P1250014.JPG
    P1250014.JPG
    129.8 KB · Views: 881

get the truck scanned from there u can actually take out the sensor and clean it, sometime they get dirty and give the wrong reading.

get the truck scanned from there u can actually take out the sensor and clean it, sometime they get dirty and give the wrong reading.

They cleaned all sensors and the damn light was off only for like 24 hours...:(

Have you ever changed the fluid in the rear differential? The speed sensors are essentially a strong magnet with a coil wrapped around it. If your differential fluid is full of metal shavings it will attach to the sensor and could cause it to fault. Kind of makes me wonder that your's worked for a day after it was cleaned off.

Have you ever changed the fluid in the rear differential? The speed sensors are essentially a strong magnet with a coil wrapped around it. If your differential fluid is full of metal shavings it will attach to the sensor and could cause it to fault. Kind of makes me wonder that your's worked for a day after it was cleaned off.

They checked the fluid and said it is ok...I'll just wait for the sensor to arrive and let you know...;)

Received the rear abs sensor...where do I put this part? Is it just a plug and play?

Received the rear abs sensor...where do I put this part? Is it just a plug and play?
This abs stuff is really getting on my nerves...the part does not fit the explorer...I went to the local Ford dealer and bought one for like $45...the $17 buck version is for the Sport Trac Explorer not for the SUV...I guess that I'll have to send the sensor back to amazon for a refund...the shop is now closed so can anyone help me where can I find the sensor to plug the original and new motorcraft sensor? This should work now!!!:rolleyes:

Here is the pic of the incorrect sensor:

http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww251/superfestiva/DSC00341.jpg

Left is the correct size, right is the one received that will not fit...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does anyone know where to plug the new abs rear sensor? I know that it is by the rear diff, but how do I find it? DOn't want to spend the $20 mimimun charge for only pluggin' in a new sensor...

Back