ABS Light on after wheel bearing change | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ABS Light on after wheel bearing change

terrapin69

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer
Finally got the alignment and steering wheel issue sorted out after four trips back to dealer - Great! Soon as I pulled off the lot, within an hour or so, the ABS light pops on. Brought it back and at the location I visited (they have 2), they only have a generic scanner which reads the left sensor. According to them, they replaced the right wheel bearing - Ok. When the tech drove the car with the code reader attached, the issue was intermittent - On and Off.

Any ideas guys/gals? Seems like too much of a coincidence that this light is on immediately after they did work. By the way, their other location, with the "real" code reading tools, is booked through next week.

Any DIY guidance would be appreciated - If I remember correctly, this happened before and I order a sensor from Amazon, installed myself in 30 minutes - Problem solved.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

These bearings are notorious for going bad. Two quick DYI ideas: 1. reset the code with scanner 2: disconnect the battery for a few minutes and reconnect. This will clear the code. If ABS light turns back on then its probably time to change the other bearing. If its still intermittent, check the harness coming out of the wheel bearing to the connector. Disconnect the connector, clean it out, reattach, and clear code. I am not sure if you can change just the abs sensor on these bearings. From my experience, I always changed both bearings at the same time because when one goes bad, the other will happen soon after.

Good luck,
bizzs

any idea of average cost to replace bearing? Don't have my receipt handy

You don't say which Explorer you have, but between $100-$160 for a wheel bearing hub, depending on the length of warranty you want. Cheapo is $100ish, SKF about $160.

Recheck both ABS connectors under the hood to make sure it is plugged all the way in. drive it for a few miles to see if it stays off. If not, reset the computer like blizz said to clear the code and see if you get it back.

by the way - disconnect both battery cables or just the pos?

If you are looking for a deal on a bearing, try advance auto. Use their online service and pick it up at your local store within the hour. Search google for advance auto coupons and you will find some great savings. I use these coupons all the time and save tons of money. There is no shipping and no waiting. You place order online and the part is ready for pickup and available by the time you drive to your local advance store.

Good luck,
bizzs

If you are looking for a deal on a bearing, try advance auto. Use their online service and pick it up at your local store within the hour. Search google for advance auto coupons and you will find some great savings. I use these coupons all the time and save tons of money. There is no shipping and no waiting. You place order online and the part is ready for pickup and available by the time you drive to your local advance store.

Good luck,
bizzs

I do the same thing Bizz all the time. You are right about the coupon codes to enter in the checkout screens for in store pickup. I have found codes as much as 40% at times. I've bought basic brake parts up to an alternator on spur of the moment when mine failed without warning and got the part within an hour. Good tip and I agree

From my experience, you need to replace the sensor with the factory unit. I changed my wheel bearings and in a short amount of time, the ABS light came on. Luckily I kept the old wheel bearing/sensor and I swapped the old sensor in place of the new one and ABS light has never come on. I've actually replaced that bearing twice and just reuse the old sensor.

by the way - disconnect both battery cables or just the pos?

just the negative, but use a jumper from pos to neg to clear the memory. You can find a quick video on this on youtube by makuloco2000. it has the exact process in a 3 minute video.

I agree with those that said look online for your local parts shop. My local pep boys always does a 35% off online orders and can be comparable to online shops, with the advantage of getting it today.

can I use standard jumper cables instead of the jumper wire? if not, where do I get the jumper wire?

If you try clearing the code using the jumper technique, make sure you do not touch the positive and negative together without disconnecting the cable from the battery first or the battery could possible blow up on you causing injury. I would disconnect the positive cable from the battery and remove it away. Place your jumper cable on the positive disconnected cable and the other side of that jumper cable to the ground. As apenland01 stated, look for the video posted on your tube by makuloco2000. makuloco2000 is an outstanding mechanic in my book and his videos are great. I learned a lot of skills from watching him.

bizzs

I used jumper cables a few times, then I got a jumper because I got tired of trying to keep all 4 clamps separated. I used both the red and black cable, its all the same (wire and clamps). Just make sure you are using the same color on each end and don't let any of the clamps touch each other.

I cut a tennis ball in half and use those to cover the battery terminals and they work great.

Back