• Register Today It's free!

ABS Light on and ABS not working

dnjoseph1

Reaction score
City, State
Fargo ND
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLT
Hello to all ford explorer enthusiasts! This is my first post on this site. I will be as descriptive as possible.

I got into an accident a while back during a bad winter blizzard. I slammed into a median at a 45 degree angle. The drivers side front panel was destroyed. The tire exploded. I figured once the tire was replaced, everything would be good. Lol to that thought. I put the spare on and began to drive. I cant describe the noise I heard. It turns out the driver side front wheel was bent inward from the accident slightly. (NOTE: during this time, the ABS light was not on) $1,000 repair later, I have my truck back and everything minus the busted panel looks great. I leave the shop and notice the ABS light on. It was snowing outside. I pressed hard on the brakes to see my trucks reaction, and it just slide without any resistance for the next 10 until I let up on the brake. Before the ABS light ever came on (And before the accident), when I pressed hard on the brakes to see my trucks reaction, it would pulsate to a stop. It's now no longer doing that.

I took it back to the shop with no luck. They're convinced the light was on when they got it, and then to fix it they'd have to start with another diagnostic test and take it from there. I figured maybe they disconnected something while fixing and forgot to connect it back. Now I'm not sure what to think.

Does anyone know or have a good idea what's going on here? Any help would be extremely appreciated. Thanks in advanced!

the ABS sensor is in the front hub assembly.If you are really lucky the connector for the sensor is just not connected. It may also have a wire pinched in the harness.either from the sensor or in the harness where it passes into the engine compartment.

The ABS system is disabled whenever the ABS light is on.

Checking the cable is a good place to start. You can follow it from the wheel bearing, along the brake line, to the top of the wheel well. There is a connector on top of the wheel well, I'm not sure where it goes from there.

It's also possible that the wheel bearing was damaged. They seem to be a common failure anyway and the ABS light is one of the symptoms.

Back