ABS light on and Door Ajar Light on | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ABS light on and Door Ajar Light on

Fordman999

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer XLT
Hello Everyone, I just joined this site and have owned a 2003 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD for over 12 years now. I just wanted to give everyone some advice if they are having the infamous Door Ajar light or ABS light on problem and cannot figure out the problem. I had this problem for over a year and finally figured out what was going on. Coincidentally my cruise control also stopped working around the time my ABS light started turning on. Well to my suprise after speaking with people here as a guest I found out the problem was a simple BRAKE PRESSURE SWITCH located at the master cylinder that costs around $30 and is easy to replace, just need a wrench to spin off the old one and put the new one in. That fixed the problem with the cruise control and the ABS light coming on. The Door Ajar light was still on and after looking at the wiring, door sensors and replacing door sensors, I was told to replace the rear differential abs sensor in my Explorer and when I did....WALAHHHH the door ajar light went out. I couldn't believe it, but it worked. I also changed the front right and front left ABS sensors since they were probably going to be an issue in the future. But just to help others that are having the same problems that I am having. A lot of Ford mechanics themselves are not sure what the problem is so they try and sell you on changing the entire ABS module, all the ABS sensors, tell you the Door Ajar light is a short somewhere in the vehicle which has to be located and blah blah blah which can be an expensive fix. I would recommend that for around $150 total you can change the brake pressure differential switch, and rear differential ABS sensor yourself and that should fix the majority of the problem. Just some advice after doing all this research and putting things together and seeing it actually work and fix the problem. Also keep in mind my Ford Explorer does not have AdvanceTrac which is a bit different with the rear differential sensor but same problem same fix.

Outstanding first post. Welcome to the boards.

Thanks..glad to give back when people here have helped me figure out problems.

Back