ABS light on | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

ABS light on

KevN2009

Reaction score
City, State
Sarasota, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer Sport 4x4
Recently bought my 99 Explorer Sport 4x4, seller said ABS light has been on for awhile. When I bought it in for an oil change they told me it was PROBABLY the ABS sensor in the rear differential, anyone have expierienve with this and where it's located and how to replace?

<

Join the Elite Explorers $20 Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

jremington59

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Watertown, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997, 99 and 2000 5.0's
It could be a problem with the ABS or it could be a faulty sensor in any of the wheels. Look at the wires and see if any of them are broken.

<

KevN2009

Reaction score
City, State
Sarasota, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer Sport 4x4
10-4 but is the sensor they're talking about inside the rear differential or outside of it?

<

jremington59

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Watertown, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997, 99 and 2000 5.0's
I'm not sure about the backs, but the fronts go right off the hubs and plug in up under the front of the wheel well.

<

JAMES209

Reaction score
City, State
fort worth,tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 explorer 5.0L E B
It's a cheap fix (<$30.) and located on top of the diff. near the u-joint pass.side.

<

celly

disturber of the peace
Reaction score
City, State
calgary
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 eb 5.0 awd
It's a cheap fix (<$30.) and located on top of the diff. near the u-joint pass.side.

What he said. An easy fix. I found it's easier if you lower your spare tire to give better access. Lots of theeads in the archives on how to do it.

F85Z9E731AB is the part# I used last summer.

<