• Register Today It's free!

ABS light question

funfool

Reaction score
City, State
Albuquerque New Mexico
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 sport explorer
I am so far luvin my '98 4x4 sport hoopti, Runs and drives awesome.
Needs some maintenannce like greasing the front wheel bearings and look for a noise that pretty much sounds like early stages of a cv joint going out.

But one issue is the ABS light, it comes on and stays on everytime you start the hoopti.
But after a short time, a couple of miles or maybe it is timed and after 10 miniutes or so, it goes out.

I tried to google for this, everybody's issues the light stays on and no help with my short time light.

The brakes feel and work good. I added some fluid, but it was only about 3/4's inch below the max level line, not really low. maybe only 1/2" the 3/4 is being generous.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your hoopti doesn't have greasable front wheel bearings. They are sealed and are part of a hub assembly. The CV shaft nut has to be removed along with the brake caliper, caliper bracket, pads and rotor. Then there are 3 bolts that come through the knuckle into the hub assembly. Those come out, then the ABS sensor needs to be unplugged and removed from the retaining clips. The hub can then be removed and replaced. I mention this, because you mentioned the need for front wheel bearing grease...which normally means you are getting audible feedback from them. If that's so, they (or just one) need replaced. Which, by the way is most likely the ABS light culprit.

It is true, I am getting some road noise, but since I am a new owner of the explorer that has 190k miles on it, kinda feeling my way around here.
I at first wanted to blame it on tire noise.
Has the big 255 70 16's on it. And I have only driven it a few times in the couple weeks we owned it, wife drives it daily.

I am thinking a mechanical noise related with the drive train, it will speed up with the speed of the vehicle.
Mainly only noticeable when starting out from a stop and slower speeds and then goes away.
It is not a clicking noise when turning corners, it is not loud, and sound like something is falling out.
Is no vibration and runs smooth on the freeway.
Just kinda a whir whir whir noise and I want to say it is in the front axles .... but who knows without a good inspection.

Thanks for the tip on the abs light, it could very well be a clue on the axles.

If you do some checking at online auto parts stores for your bearing application, you can find a pic of the bearing/hub assembly...or this forum for that matter. Go to a large parking lot that is void of traffic. Bring it up to 30mph and then turn it to the left as if you were going through a curve. Then do the same thing to the right. If the sound goes away in one direction or the other, it's a bearing. Left curve = right bearing. Right curve = left bearing. Since this is your 1st go around with these jewels, I'll give you some heads up on a few things to looks for. With higher miles, you will be looking at lower ball joints/upper control arms (very common) and tie rod ends (also common). Look for torn cv axle boots with grease around them. I had cv joint normally has a leaking boot before it goes bad. Also check for leaks around the axle seals at the front differential, as well as the inspection cover. Then loosen the fill plug and top it off with gear lube. If it takes more than a pint, it probably has a leak. If it takes a lot, your noise may be from the front dif. Wiggle the driveshafts at the U-joints to check for play. If there is any side to side or up and down play, the u-joints are suspect. Play from front to back is not an indicator, nor is rotating play.

so now I do not know.
I am slow, I am disabled with a spine issue ... sometimes I can do things while other times not so much.
I crawled under it today and took a look.
It has a new rack and pinion, new axles and the front pumpkin looks new.
Comparing the metal shinyness to the older surrounding metals on the hoopti.
The hoopti has 190k miles on it and obvious was a lot of front end parts replaced, so thinking now that maybe back to bad tires making the noise.
That does not explain the abs light yet, will have to go to the parts store and have the code pulled.
My little cheap scanner wont read abs codes.

While reading the manual, I now have another question. :confused:
I have the center rooftop console with a compartment for the garage door opener, and 2 dome lights. has a mode button.
The manual says all vehicles have the compass and outside temp.
All I see is a blank lcd screen.
I tried looking for a bad fuse yesterday, could not find one.
I also do not see in the manual which specific fuse or relay covers the overhead console.
Does anyone here know which it is? Would be very grateful.
I just thought that the obvious place to look first.

And here is a photo of the explorer, I dont know to call it a car or call it a truck, but hoopti works for me on this one.
I am convinced that the motor is not the original, was very pleased today looking under it at the drive train.
Now to get a jack and try to start raising the roof on it. I might end up making a truck out of it, cut the roof off and deal with those issues.
but electrical seems to be the abs light, horn does not work, and no life in the upper console for temps or compass, if it is true all explorers have that feature.
This vehicle has very few extras and stripped down base model.
eqb20z.jpg

But it was well taken care of, before it got treed.

There are a few guys that have cut the roof behind the front seats and welded the hatch in that area to provide a spare tire/jack compartment. Kind of like a mini truck bed. You will find them searching the forum.

Yeah, cut that roof off, and weld up some kind of barrier, Maybe add a hatch like a submarine would have in case you flip it over

Now I feel silly, Remember it is a new car to me.
After driving it for a few weeks, The ABS light stayed on one day, and the left front pads started squeaking. :eek:
A quick visual and rotors look fine, and just the pads are getting low.
I assume new pads and the light will go out.

I still do not know what the strange noise is, That I think is a dry bearing somewhere. But visually, everything looks fine. I checked all the fluid levels.
Even got a qtip and soaked up some oil from it to check the colour and sniff it :)
I want to get the front wheels off the ground, check the ujoints and axles.
I might be tempted to start it and put it in gear, and try to locate the noise.

I do not understand this drive train though. We have the 4x4 and then the AWD ... What is the difference?
So it seems these are full time front wheel drive, and putting it in 4x4 enables the rear wheel drive?

So what does Auto mean?
I mean there is no off? my options are, auto 4xlow 4xhi.
So if I jack it up in the front, and start it with the rear wheels on the ground ... does it go into Launch mode?
I need more info/reading before I go further.

Alright, please forgive me if I'm out of line, but this all seams like a hoax put on by a long time member that has created a ghost account to get some goats. It im right, what do I win?

Holy crap is my favourite line, besides kab00m!
I have to wonder though.
I assume, A moderated forum keeps the crap out.
While I ask and use all the basic tools available to me , to try and ask a honest question.
If and I say IF? I wanted to show a funny post.
I would not use my Real name of funfool.
Search around, I run funtoo linux and my nick is funfool.
You ever want help building your own system, give me a hollar.
And I laugh at the thought I am your old prankster ...... I do not deny I might prankster you ... :p

Back