ABS Light still on. Replaced both front hubs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ABS Light still on. Replaced both front hubs

firerescue251

Reaction score
City, State
Logan Township, New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Sport 4.0 OHV
This ABS light is getting to be a pain in the A$$! I replaced both front hubs today, took it for a drive and the ABS light illuminated again. It's a 99 Ex 5.0 AWD. Any thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you had the ABS codes pulled or are you just pitching parts at it and hoping it fixes it?

Have you had the ABS codes pulled or are you just pitching parts at it and hoping it fixes it?

you should definitely get the codes pulled, but have you replaced the speed sensor in the rear diff? this also effects the ABS and has been know to go bad fairly often.

Rear Speed Sensor

Like Koda said, one of the most common causes is the speed sensor in the top of the rear differential. It is held in with one small bolt, 10mm I think. You can pull it out and check resistance between the two terminals, it should read between 1200-1500 Ohms. If you get a reading of infinite replace it they are around $12-$15. The light will go out on its own if that was the problem no need for a scanner to reset the ABS light.

Mike

Scan the codes. I use the free software ForScan with a cheap ELM327 reader (from eBay or Amazon) and my laptop.

My ABS light is on also. I'll do a scan tomorrow and see what shows. Meanwhile I'm doing my rear brakes on Sun, so I'll check that speed sensor while I'm at it.

Back