• Register Today It's free!

ABS light

RangRayy

Reaction score
City, State
Suburbia Hell Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT 4x4
the dreaded ABS light came on a couple weeks ago while i was down in alabama. i didnt even notice that it came on until my friend said something about it. while i was driving it was wet out and i remember feeling it slide when i hit the brakes and i thought it was weird but dismissed it. then the other day i was driving down a country road and some idiot almost came over and hit me while trying to pass me and i hit the brakes and all fours locked up and slid, the front while the rear went left and i ended in a ditch...

needless to say i was cursing up a storm but ive looked over this site and not sure what to do about getting rid of the light. sensor replacing or replacing all the brakes. i just changed out all my brakes and roders a couple of months ago. im strapped for cash right now so any advice?

? no advice

probably no help, but I had nearly the same thing happen. when I hit the brakes the front locked up and I heard the click-click of the abs crap going on. after that, the abs light came on. everytime I cut off the vehicle and restarted, the light would stay off until some sudden stop would trigger the same problem again.

someone suggested replacing the abs sensor that plugs into the top of the rear differential. I researched and found that I had the same sensor in a rearend in the shop, so I used it.

when I removed the sensor from my '99 it was covered in iron filings. I don't know if this was the problem, but replacing the sensor in the rearend cured my abs problem. (at least it hasn't come back for a week now)

J...operating in the dark on this type problem

Back