• Register Today It's free!

Abs Lite Always On

jexplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Columbus, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XLT, 2000 XLT SOHC
I have a 2000 Explorer XLT 4WD. The ABS lite came on while driving and the brake pedal has gone soft, but it still stops ok. I have scaned it with an Autoxray 6000 and no codes were returned, but I am not sure if the scanner is accessing the ABS ( if anybody knows about this scanner, please let me know). None of the parts stores in my area scan for ABS.

The brake pads and rotors are in good condiition and I have replaced the master cylinder and bled the entire system and disconnected the battery. The light is still on and the brakes pedal still soft.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

jexplorer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

AutoXray doesn't read ABS codes. It could be anything, you'll need to find a scanner that will read ABS, and most of the consumer models don't.

Abs light Is On

Thanks for the quick reply. Do you know of any scanners that do?

jexplorer said:
Thanks for the quick reply. Do you know of any scanners that do?

Yes, but none of them are under $1,500.

most places like Midas charge you an arm and a leg to scan the ABS codes. The light constantly on means that the ABS has failed a saftey check and is disabled... nothing to worry about really, unless you get into an accident.

mine went on about 1-2 months ago and i got it read and they said it's the rear speed sensor. VERY EASY TO REPLACE. search for it... That's usually the first thing to check, cost me $15-20 for a new speed sensor.

Viper

Back