ABS Module Info Needed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ABS Module Info Needed

imp

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
59 Ranchero F250 D'Line
2004 4.0L 4X4 Exp. getting conflicting DTCs, but ABS light always part of it. t Rarely get ABS DTCs, but did twice get B-1342, ABS Module Defective. Never and other ABS-related, like wheel speed sensors.

Shop manual states replacement ABS Module must be configured with vehicle information.

Can anyone tell me whether a "shade tree" guy like me has the ability to do that, or what kind of data thrower is needed to do it? Will a replacement ABS Module function if not configured?

Any help appreciated! imp

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So far, nobody knows what "configure ABS Module" involves? imp

Imp do you have ForScan? Reason I ask is that I believe the module can be tested in that program, but honestly it has been a while since I have used it so I am really not sure.

A Ford IDS would have to be used. Otherwise you can throw in a salvage unit but it still may require reprogramming from a dealer scan tool

Imp do you have ForScan? Reason I ask is that I believe the module can be tested in that program, but honestly it has been a while since I have used it so I am really not sure.

I do not. Originally, the only DTC I got over and over, kept erasing it, was P-2106 Throttle Control Actuator Forced Limited Power. I replaced the entire throttle body, made no difference, decided (Why? Good question) the PCM must be wacko, as over the past weeks P-2106 disappeared, replaced with "Throttle Plate Stuck Closed", Throttle Plate Stuck Open", B-1342 ECO Defective (Shop Manual lists that one as originating in any of the modules, TPS, ABS, etc. Never got any ABS-specific codes, but ABS light always came on, along with Brake light, 4X4 HIGH flashing, then the wrench icon.

It has never gone into limp mode, I think because the P-2106 is shown as "pending", and I always deleted then. One time, the scary time, I got "Forced Idle", no other codes, starts & idles, very poorly, throttle movement did absolutely nothing! That was when I ordered a PCM, installed it, started ran fine, drove several miles, ABS and Brake lights again! Grasping at straws, suspect ABS Module, that's why this OP. Have no funds to pay a Dealer.

Appreciate you guys' interest, though. imp

So far, nobody knows what "configure ABS Module" involves? imp
If you have a better scanner other than just a code reader can replace and put in the original program into new module

If you have a better scanner other than just a code reader can replace and but is the original program into new module
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

If you have a blank module with a mid grade scanner you can copy program and reinstall it to new blank module
I went the route I did because new scanners were very expensive.

Thank you
4.0L 4X4 Exp. getting conflicting DTCs, but ABS light always part of it. t Rarely get ABS DTCs, but did twice get B-1342, ABS Module Defective. Never and other ABS-related, like wheel speed sensors.

Shop manual states replacement ABS Module must be configured with vehicle information.

Can anyone tell me whether a "shade tree" guy like me has the ability to do that, or what kind of data thrower is needed to do it? Will a replacement ABS Module function if not configured?

2004 4.0L 4X4 Exp. getting conflicting DTCs, but ABS light always part of it. t Rarely get ABS DTCs, but did twice get B-1342, ABS Module Defective. Never and other ABS-related, like wheel speed sensors.

You want to get your “as built” data for your specific vehicle. Search for that subject but I know you go to a Motorcraft service web site. You down load the data - encoded hex stuff. You then use forscan to input this data for the new ABS unit.

Also - sometimes you can take the replacement unit and separate the pump and the electronics, and just put in the pump in using your old electronics. Getting “ as built” is easier but I thought I would mention it.

Don’t forget to do ABS bleed for downstream lines from ABS and crack the incoming lines from the master cylinder to bleed.

Back